Monday, March 31, 2014

Spring Inspiration

It's been bitterly cold here in Chicago for the better part of five months now. I'm not even exaggerating. When it's that cold for that long, spring weather starts to seem like some kind of a beautiful dream. It's finally, finally starting to warm up, though, and I couldn't be more excited to start dressing for more pleasant weather.
I get a lot of inspiration from vintage fashion magazines and ads, as well as movies from the period, but I also really enjoy keeping an eye on current fashion. It's a great way to figure out what pieces you'll likely be able to find in what the British call high street stores (midi skirts are everywhere right now, and come fall, there will be tons of stuff on the racks for girls with a mod, 60s aesthetic), and it's also a great way to get a fresh perspective on style.

Alice&Olivia always manage to create covetable, sweetly retro collections. I'm in love with pastels right now, and a matching crop top and midi skirt will definitely be making an appearance in my wardrobe come summer.

If a crop top feels a little overexposed, add a long cardigan with a thin belt at the waist, like Michael Kors did here. It's also great for those cooler nights. I could definitely see wearing this to the beach or a barbeque. 

Speaking of full skirts and belted cardigans, I love this Rochas look. A chunkier knit is great for this transitional weather, while a full, floral skirt in cream and pastels makes me think of spring. 

This gown from Spanish fashion house Delpozo isn't an every day look, I admit, but I love the proportions here. I would normally pair a very full skirt with a fitted top, but this has me thinking about remixing my vintage skirts with swingy trapeze tops, just to change things up a bit. 

If there were a procedure that would allow me to trade a year of my life for a designer collection, the Michael Kors Pre-Fall 2014 collection would be the one I would do it for. This look, in particular, really caught my eye, with the bold use of color and pattern. I never would have thought to pair a vivid red with baby blue, but now that I've seen how beautifully it works here, I've been mad for it.

This is another unusual color pairing that I've fallen in love with since I've seen it. Granted, I don't really see myself wearing a long, open skirt with striped pants and a sheer crop top, but Ulyana Sergeenko's dark, rich hunter green with the baby blue (again; it's definitely the color of the season for me) is really striking. 
Actually, if you're looking for some inspirational eye candy, just Google Ulyana Sergeenko. She's an amazing Russian designer with a grand, romantic, vintage sensibility. You will want to save up all your rubles to buy her couture pieces.
I went outside with bare legs for the first time in months this morning. It felt so delicious. I can't wait to start riding my bike to work, and eating my lunch outside, and setting up a hammock in my yard. You know what? Just wake me up when it's May.

All photos courtesy of style.com.  

No comments:

Post a Comment