Monday, November 17, 2014

Bohemian Air

I'm never what you'd call a party animal, but the winter definitely brings the nester out in me. All I want to do is find a cozy place to read and listen to music and watch TV and snooze. On Saturday, I finally went and got a foot for my sewing machine, and Brian and I moved it up to it's permanent home. I hung some of my pictures, and I'm starting to thinking about finding a comfortable chair and ottoman to go up there as well. It would be really nice to have my own little nook that's just mine, decorated in the way that I like and suited to what I like to do. I could have a few books up there, maybe hang some pretty curtains to make it a suitable space to take photos when there's no light outside... It's taken a lot of time to start making our apartment our own, but I think the winter is the perfect time for it.
Of course, I still have to go out some of the time.
dollparts3
I felt a little bit weird in this outfit. I started out the day in taller black boots, so the pink tights didn't show, but unfortunately they rubbed my feet bloody and I had to buy a pair of emergency shoes. Luckily those only cost about $15 (what up, Aldo Sale Shop), but the effect ended up going a little bit more baby doll than I had intended.
dollparts2
Good face day, though.
dollparts1
And really good hair.
I was surprised by the number of compliments that I got about this outfit. I guess it's eye-catching, but I felt like I was LARPing as a lolita or something.
On Sunday it snowed! It was so pretty. It didn't really stick much, but I'm definitely anticipating my first snowball fight of the year.
caucasus5
I'd almost forgotten about this red wool skirt that I picked up at the thrift store. It really ended up being a perfect find - paired with a peasant blouse I picked up this summer, a floral headscarf, and some sturdy boots, I think it works pretty well as a simple take on the Russian fairy tale inspiration I wanted to bring into my wardrobe.
caucasus7
My coat may not be quite fit for a Cossack, but I love it nonetheless. It was a fantastic bargain - $16! The buttons had been cut off, but getting some new ones was only a matter of about $5 and 20 minutes of stitching, and it's super cozy. I would have bought it just for the leopard print cuffs and collar.
caucasus1
I really do have to buy something other than a swing coat sometime soon, though. I love them, but variety is the spice of life.

Speaking of buying things (great segue, I know), I've got something exciting in store for Black Friday. I'm working on a vintage sale master list of sorts, so if you know of any stores that would like to be included, just send them my way! The post will go up one week from today, on Monday the 24th, and will include some really exciting exclusive discounts as well as a list of vintage and vintage appropriate sellers offering bargains. If you're participating in Chronically Vintage's Secret Santa, it might be the perfect time to find a gift for your partner, not to mention for yourself.

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely love all your swing coats. That leopard print collar and trim is just the spice of life. I have one 1960's vintage swing coat that I love and take out of the closet often and plan to wear, but at the last minute I always change my mind due to its 3/4 sleeve length. It feels so impractical and I hate being cold. Our seasons are so unpredictable and our fall especially sometimes it feels as though it is only 2 or 3 days long. My wardrobe style definitely craves a different climate. BTW, I love your smile in the last picture, so genuine and beautiful.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leopard trim... I basically want leopard trim on everything, so naturally I think that coat is beautiful and why shouldn't you have bought it?! You can't have too many of anything as far as clothes are concerned, in my opinion. And that's a great hair bow/do in the first outfit - I really don't think they work that well on me, but with your hair and the coat it looks great... not Lolita-y!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness, those coats are glorious!!! Princess/fitted styles tend to work better for my figure, so I don't own any swing coats at present, but I must say, seeing you rock these two is suddenly putting me in the mood for one. Perhaps the thrift store gods will smile on me this winter and send one my way for a song (so as to keep in line with my earlier comment here today :)).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have quite the little swing coat collection! You can definitely rock them, I wouldn't rule out buying another one! P x

    ReplyDelete