Thursday, November 13, 2014

Baby, It's Cold Outside

After approximately three days of beautiful fall weather, winter has decided to stake its claim. Rest in peace, Autumn. We hardly knew ye.
Whatever. Seasons change, and soon enough I'll be bitching about getting slapped in the face by summer heat and humidity every time I step outside. The one nice thing about winter is that if your outerwear game is on point, minimal effort is required to look polished and put together.
Although I have three really nice coats, I feel like I could stand to get a couple more. I think bright colors and bold shapes help keep things interesting when you start defaulting to basic, "I'm tired and have to get dressed in the dark" outfits. 
Yellow Textured Coat
asosyellowtexturedcoat
This sunny yellow would definitely help brighten up your day when it's gloomy out. The relaxed shape makes it easy to layer a chunky sweater underneath.
Polka Dot Dropped Waist Coat
diamonddropwaist
Admittedly, this one is a little on the light side for a Chicago winter, but the dropped waist and the pretty pattern meant that I had to include it. 
Red Felt Coat
redfeltcoat
I love a red coat - it just makes me think of sledding and caroling and roasting chestnuts over open fires. This collarless version would be great to wear with tops and dresses with collar details (assuming they aren't hidden under a thick scarf).
Plaid Mohair Lilli Ann Coat
bluefennellilliann
This is the kind of coat that you can throw on with boots and jeans and be the best dressed person on the street.
Houndstooth Princess Coat
concettasclosethoundstooth
I debated about posting this one because I don't want any of you bitches to snatch it out from under me. The shape, the pattern, the colors - freaking love it.
Reversible Wool Wrap Coat
woolwrapcoat
Wrap coats are having a serious moment this year, and I love that this one is basically two coats in one. 
Deco Inspired Velvet Coat
lapoubellevelvetl
Another one that has me not-quite-figuratively drooling. Wouldn't this be perfect for a decadent New Year's Eve?
Burgundy Princess Coat
modclothburgundycoat
This pretty princess coat is perfect for everyday wear with a scarf, full skirt, and a thick pair of cable knit tights.
 
IMG_5712
This Lilli Ann coat is my favorite of the ones that I own. It's ridiculously warm, and you could probably fit an entire other person in there with me, much less a thick sweater. I didn't know as much about vintage when I bought it as I do now, and I feel vaguely guilty for talking the girl who sold it to me down to $60. But not that guilty.

What's your favorite coat? Do you like bolder outerwear choices, or do you keep it chic and subdued?

11 comments:

  1. Any coat with a waist belt for me please! Otherwise my chest turns the rest of me into a tent, which when you're vertically challenged as it is is not a good look! But I've always wanted a pale blue coat so I am still intensely jealous of yours. I almost got one this year, but the tent factor was just too overwhelming...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of enjoy the tent thing, actually, although I don't have as much in the boobal region as you do. But coats with waist belts are awesome, they're so flattering.

      Delete
  2. Great post. Gotta love a Lilli Ann:) What a great color! The great thing about the swing coats is that you can wear tons of things underneath…the bad thing..I'm not a fan of 3/4 sleeves but you know I think if I got used to it, it might not be so bad, you just need some long gloves. Princess coats will always be my favorite. I just bought an amazing Lilli Ann princess coat for $60 about a month and a half ago and I know this will never happen again in my lifetime. I'm still trying to get over this find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome that you found a princess coat for that little! I've been looking for one, just to switch things up a bit, and it seems like even 80s era stuff is $150+. So frustrating.
      The 3/4 sleeves were a bit of a pain, but I have a couple of pairs of long gloves now, which I love. I also have a cardigan that's that same color as the coat, so sometimes that makes a great layering piece help keep my arms warm.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, a princess coat, yes please. I found a vintage faux fur double breasted coat at the good will a few weeks ago for a smashing $25. I had to do some serious mending to the lining and rearrange the buttons (until I find the perfect vintage buttons) to make up for the missing ones but I am super happy with it. You can never have too many winter coats (especially in Alaska). That blue looks great on you and it sounds like you got it for a steal. I could almost bitch slap someone for that hounds tooth one, but only if I didn't know them.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "... but only if I didn't know them." Good advice for life. Don't slap people you know, or at least not people you like. :P
      Oh, that faux fur one sounds so cool. I love shaggy, furry coats, they always have this luxe, bohemian feeling to them. And that's a great price.

      Delete
  4. I admit it. I have a coat problem. But, as you say, the right one is basically your whole outfit sorted! I wear my favourite ones to their absolute death. Still searching for a new favourite after the demise of my red wool coat, which is how I've ended up with so many, I think.

    Your pale blue one is heavenly, and that houndstooth is to die for too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how it always goes, isn't it? I hate it when my favorite something or other dies, because nothing that comes after it ever quite measures up.

      Delete
  5. very pretty coats, I fell in love with the birgundy one!
    Have a great week end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this chic, cozy coat filled post! That houndstooth princes number is slaying me!!!

    Your opening line sums up fall in Canada just about every year too and this one is scarcely an exception. Halloween was fairly cold (and rainy for part of the day), as had been much of October, and now we're pretty much in full winter mood, save for the fact it hasn't actually snowed yet (despite being cold enough to do so for several days now). I wish fall and winter could swap lengths - even just once!

    ReplyDelete