Friday, December 19, 2014

Makeup Tutorial - Christmas Bitch

I feel like holiday beauty ideas can be kind of repetitive. Red lips, gold shadow, cat eye liner, or shimmery brown shadow with rosy cheeks and lips. It's all very pretty, but it tends to blur together after a while. There's wholesome, Norman Rockwell winter beauty, but there's also stark, bleak, frozen tundra winter beauty. I wanted to try something a little more along that vein, something that was still really pretty and wearable, but not your typical look. It's a little Robert Palmer girl, a little goth, and really fun.
 One note that I should make is that I didn't realize how weird the low angle of shots made things look until after I had finished putting on all the makeup. Whoops. I guess that's what test shots are for. I hope things are still pretty clear.
I did this at the end of the day, over the minimal makeup that I was already wearing for the day, but the instructions are pretty much the same as they would be if you were starting with a clean face.
1
My starting point.
Start, as usual, with foundation. I used a little heavier hand that I normally would, and went it and corrected all the little spots and dots and blotches with concealer. I dusted on a light layer of powder to finish and set. 

My brows were already filled, but I elongated the shape and rounded the arch, giving them a slightly exaggerated appearance. I also still had on the mascara that I'd applied in the morning, a fairly heavy coat on the top and a lighter coat on the bottom.
IMG_6296
For the eyes, I started with a base of silver eyeshadow. Using my finger, I applied Maybelline's Color Tattoo in Silver Strike all the way up to my eyebrows. Then, I applied the shimmery charcoal shade from my Pixi palette to my crease with a small brush, blending it upwards towards my brow for a cut crease effect. With liquid liner, I made a straight line under my lower lash line, adding a slight, downward flick at the inner corner. I also tightlined my lower lash line.




I wanted to keep the look pretty frosty, so I skipped blush in favor of highlighter. I used my silver cream shadow (including the leftovers from applying my eyeshadow) to highlight the tops of my cheekbones, the bridge of my nose, and my cupid's bow. I also brushed a light bronzer under my cheekbones for some added definition.
IMG_6311
IMG_6361

For the lips, I was looking for something along the lines of frozen berries. I wanted it to be matte, but not too perfect. I used my OCC Lip Tar duo in red and blue to blend a deep berry color, then blotted it until it was just a stain. I applied it well within my natural lip line, minimizing my lips a little bit. It might sound weird, but I feel like it makes my eyes look bigger.








IMG_6397
IMG_6403
This is a great look for casting sultry glances over your shoulder - all big eyes and glimmering cheekbones. It might not be your every day style, but I think it could be an awesome look for New Year's.

So what do you guys think? Is this a look that you would be interested in trying out for a night?

6 comments:

  1. You're right, I've read a few too many 'glittery eyeshadow, red lips' tutorials this month already - so yours is a good antidote to these! I think everything apart from the eyeliner on the bottom lid would be wearable for any party situation (the eyeshadow is great) - the eyeliner gives it a bit of something extra that you're right, would be good for a special night like New Years (although my NYE plans so far are to eat takeaway pizza in a swanky hotel room..!). You look awesome either way and win points for originality ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, swanky hotel and pizza? Sounds like a pretty fun NYE, actually, as long as you're not in there alone. ;)

      Delete
  2. When I first saw this I was on my phone, so I didn't know there were gifs to it! This tutorial is fantastic! If I find myself going to party soon, I'll totally incorporate this look in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *lol* Google makes them for me automatically when I upload my photos, so I figured I might as well go with it. I'm glad you liked it! I think it would look awesome on you.

      Delete
  3. Definitely! In fact, I've been giving very serious consideration to a silver eye for Christmas, as I have a cranberry/garnet and silver-y metallic brocade dress that I may sport for the big day and feel it calls for a considerably more dramatic eye than I usually wear. Seeing this bold, beautiful example of one feels like a sign that I should try my hand with something similar.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must say this was a pretty awesome step by step tutorial. Love the end result!

    ReplyDelete