Friday, May 23, 2014

And the winner is....

Last week I posted about a major haircut that I was planning. I cited a few vintage hair icons that I was inspired by - Audrey Hepburn, Jean Seberg, Louise Brooks. Some other fantastic suggestions were offered as well, like Sherilyn Fenn from Twin Peaks. It was actually a really tough decision, because there are so many pros and cons to all of the different styles. A really short pixie cut is striking and dramatic, but doesn't offer a lot of versatility; a bob would give me a bit more to play with, and would be easier to grow out, but it seems like everyone has one these days.
After some consultation with my stylist, Emily from Barbara & Barbara here in Chicago, I decided to just say screw it. It's only hair, after all.
So, my winning style inspiration is....


seberg1
Jean Seberg circa Breathless.

Although obviously the real winner is me, because I look fucking fabulous.

It's easy to get attached to hair. I've basically been growing mine out from a pixie for the past few years, and it's felt like hard work. It was so exciting to see it get longer and longer, and it was fun to experiment with all of the different styles and shapes that I could do with it. Victory rolls and vampy waves and beehives and bouffants. I'm going to miss having access to those styles for a little while, but the great thing about hair is that it grows back.
It's kind of a pain in the ass to grow out a pixie cut, and there's always this weird, mullet-y stage that makes you want to just chop it all off again, and there are times when you just hate what's going on with your head and need all the of bobby pins and head bands and scarfs and hats, but in a weird way I'm looking forward to all that. I'm going to enjoy the crop for a little while, but I'm excited about the challenges of growing it out gracefully.

8 comments:

  1. You do look fucking fabulous!! I love it! Your face is so striking.
    <3
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet for saying that, thank you!

      Delete
  2. Also, if you ever get a craving for those long hair styles, there are always wigs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just looking at wigs today *lol*. Might get one that goes full B-52s.

      Delete
  3. I literally just cut my hair on Friday and its the shortest its been since I was in the 8th grade but its so fun to experiment with hair and like you said it grows back. I feel like thats something Ive learned and embraced since I started putting fun colors in my hair a year ago and switching it up all the time, I realized its just hair have fun with it and don't take it too seriously! I think you rock that haircut! &I bet it'll be a pleasure to have with summer heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so awesome that you're open to experimentation like that. I wish that I had more leeway to play around with colors as well, but corporate America *shrug*. Thank you for the compliment! I'm loving it so far, although I really have to get better about remembering that the back of my neck needs sunscreen now.

      Delete
  4. Breathtaking no 'do!!! Goodness, do I adore this short, sweet - but also sassy, classically gamine look on you, dear gal. You look flat out amazing!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! I'm really happy with it so far.

      Delete