Thursday, May 22, 2014

Links to love

1. Kudos To This Portrait Series For Not Erasing LGBTQ Identities While Proving They’re Just Like You
The Self Evident Truths Project is a massive photography project that aims to capture the portraits of 10,000 individuals on the LGBTQ spectrum. The photos manage to capture a little something of their queer identities while also making them human and relatable. There's also a stories section on their website, some of which are uplifting, some of which are heartbreaking. 
self-evident-project-instagram

2. Why you should fight your judgemental side eye during shorts season
I stumbled across this article shortly after I wrote my post from yesterday, and I cannot agree with it more. Maybe you don't want to rock a pair of "janties," but demeaning other women who do serves no purpose other than to police and shame them. 
janties-3

3. A tropical breeze dress
I am loving this homemade dress on my fellow vintage blogger Tasha from By Gum, By Golly. I've been dying over tropical prints lately (anyone want to buy me something pretty by Alfred Shaheen?), and this makes me want to learn how to sew my own clothes.
tropical-breeze4

4. Oscar in the utility belt: 9 actors who won Academy Awards after playing comic-book characters
For a long time it felt like there was a bit of a genre ghetto in Hollywood. You could be a serious actor who did "real" movies, or you could be a B-level actor who did action/sci-fi/fantasy. With the explosion of comic book movies in the late 90s, the names started to get bigger. Bigger budget genre flicks = bigger names = bigger profits (usually). Right now, it seems like comic book movies, particularly in the Marvel Universe, are the best place to spot talented actors.
Jennifer_Lawrence_40292

5. The Ryno prepares to charge
I think I want one.
ryno-motors-one-wheeled-motorcycle-011

4 comments:

  1. Tasha's dress is such a fabulous jolt of summertime fun! I adore everything that talented gal creates (oh mah gosh, could you imagine if she had her own repro line!).

    My dear friend, I want to thank you deeply for your awesome supportive comments about (and purchases from) my Etsy shop. Though I was in a bit of a dark spot (for me at least :)) there for a little while, I can sincerely say that the storm clouds have passed and I'm more optimistic and excited about the future, very much including my shop, than I have been in months. A fact that is aided in absolutely no small part by the caring, beautiful support of my online friends like you. Thank you again so much!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If she had her own line I'd be broke(er than I am most of the time already).
      And of course I'm going to support you. I'm so happy to hear that you're feeling better, and moving out from under the cloud of negativity people were casting. It still boggles my mind that anyone would be less than thrilled for you about your new endeavor.

      Delete
  2. Ive always wanted to learn how to sew. I don't have a sewing machine of my own but my sister does and still with no money for classes and no one to teach me I think it'll just have to stay a dream of mine for some day. I do love her dress and tropical prints are so fun for summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boyfriend had a brief ambition to become a tailor, so he learned how to sew. I got a really nice skirt and an apron out of it, so I just wished that he had stuck with it. He actually picked it up pretty quick on his own - his friend showed him how to run the machine, and then he just kind of went from there.

      Delete