Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Vintage short hair inspiration

I've gone through a lot of hair colors in the past several years. I'm a natural redhead, but I cycle through blonde, black, and red hair on a pretty regular basis. I enjoy changing up my look, having that drastic change where I practically don't recognize myself in the mirror for a little while.
My hair's been blonde before, usually platinum, and I really like the color. I have blonde eyebrows and eyelashes (ultimate ginger kid here), so blonde hair means that I don't have to worry about it if I don't feel like wearing mascara or coloring in my brows all the time. Usually, though, when it's blonde it's also very short, which means the damage doesn't have time to accumulate too much before it gets cut again. Trying to grow it out while also bleaching it is starting to feel like an exercise in futility. My hair's got that gummy texture and fragility that means, unfortunately, that despite how gentle I've tried to be with it, the damage is pretty much irrevocable.
I've spent so long growing my hair out that if feels like a shame to cut it, but it's damaged enough that even if I stop bleaching and go dark again, I'm still going to need a fairly major cut. I do love the look and versatility of longer hair, but I'm not so attached to it that chopping it off will be unduly painful.
facebook_189464926
My pixie from back in the day, after about six-ish months of growing out.
facebook_-594815327
And the bob it grew out into.

So, how short should I go?
MBDBREA EC001
I adore Jean Seberg's pixie cut. It's so classic and beautifully androgynous. It might be a nice way to add a little edge to my look, since my style is so extravagantly feminine.
00d/13/koal/14483/01
Audrey Hepburn's short cut is a little longer and softer, so it might give me a little more to play with in terms to styles and textures.
Elizabeth_Taylor008
Liz's short curls are really cute, and an almost defiantly vintage look. My only concern is that it might veer too close to "grandma" for me to really pull off.
louise20brooks
I've already got the Louise Brooks' bitchface down; maybe I need her bob too.
1920s-hair-marion-davies-2
Marion Davies isn't the icon that Louise Brooks is, but I love the waves on this 1920s film star (and William Randolph Hearst's lover). Although I love how striking a pixie cut can be, a bob would give me more options (curly vs. straight) and isn't as difficult to grow out.

So, what do you guys think? Short or shorter? Any other short haired vintage vixens you can recommend to me?

7 comments:

  1. Ah you worked both those hairstyles so well! Extremely jealous because not just anyone can pull of a cut that short like the pixie you rocked. I agree that a bob has more versatility. I plan on cutting my hair short too from dying damage, it just doesn't seem to grow very much since I've been dip dying for the past year but I think I'm gonna go for bob - shoulder length hair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Do you have any hair photos up on your blog? I would love to see this dip dying thing you're talking about.
      I really like the long bob with bangs that I've been seeing lately, the Karlie Kloss look. It's really chic, and still long enough to have plenty of options.

      Delete
  2. Wow, you are so lucky to be able to (really!) successfully wear such a wide range of hair colours and styles (no such dice here to the same kind of degree). I must say, as much as I genuinely like each, the first photo jumps out at me the most and is my very favourite style. It highlights your beautiful face all the more and truly seems to suit you.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! I'm actually starting to lean pretty heavily towards the really short, Jean Seberg style crop, since I'll have all of the growing out stages to play with.

      Delete
  3. I freaking adore Lousie Brooks... she is such a gorgous lady! I love it when women are confident enough to pull off the short pixie cut. I like the way it shows of their delicat necks and other features.... you should totally go all the way. You already know it's going to look swell on you.
    xoxo
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Louise Brooks is amazing, isn't she? I do wish she'd had a longer career, she's one of those actresses i could watch forever.

      Delete
  4. These are great! But I always make a point to check Michelle Williams or Ginnifer Goodwin for short celebrity hairstyles as inspiration. ^.^ Lizzie

    ReplyDelete