Thursday, May 8, 2014

Links to love

1. I was Shailene: I used to say I wasn't a feminist
I found this article from The Cut really interesting, since I had read the article in Jezebel that it refers to and largely accepted what it said. The Cut is, I think, being a little more generous with Shailene than I would be - the assumption that feminists want to bring men down is one of the more unfortunate stereotypes about feminists around, and I really dislike that she parroted it - but they have a point. She's a young woman in the spotlight, and no matter what she says, she'll be critiqued. A lot of women who proudly call themselves feminists today wouldn't have done so yesterday, including myself. Shailene's a little kooky, which is great (who many other young actresses are telling people to sunbathe their vaginas?), and she is, from what I've heard, a talented young actress who picks interesting and challenging roles that present women in a positive light. It'd be awesome if she was also an avowed feminist, but I guess I can't have everything.
shailenewoodley

2. The new Star Wars cast has only one woman who's not Princess Leia
I'm not going to try to burnish my geek cred by claiming to be a huge Star Wars fan, because I'm not. I've seen the first three movies a couple of times through, and they're pretty good, but I'm not one of the people who's been utterly blown away by them. That said, they are a huge franchise, one of the most popular and beloved pieces of science fiction in the world among both men and women. It seems like such a massive oversight to populate their universe almost entirely with males. It's an issue that comes up over and over again with genre entertainment - it's considered a boys club, even though there are demonstrably as many female fans as male ones. The assumption that geek culture is a male thing and should cater to male tastes is something that permeates it at almost every level, and has been called out repeatedly. It would be really nice if someone actually got the message, but until then, I guess we'll just have to keep yelling. Say it with me - "Where's my fucking Wonder Woman movie?"
princessleia

3. Hot Doug's is closing its doors
Sad news for the city of Chicago - Hot Doug's is closing. My Facebook feed is swimming with "whyyyyyyyy?!?!?!" and "noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!" I don't live to far from there, and I think I'm going to have to get a couple of good visits in before the doors close for good. Rattlesnake hot dogs, anyone?

4. Chronically Vintage opens an Etsy shop
I know I've mentioned Chronically Vintage here once already, but I can't help but be excited about her new and utterly divine new shop on Etsy. I love how well curated her jewelry selection is, and also how reasonable her prices are. I've already got my eye on a couple of pieces; I think I'll have to indulge when payday rolls around.
CVbracelet
So, anyone want to buy me this guy? $60 - 15% with GRANDOPENING coupon 

No comments:

Post a Comment