Wednesday, September 10, 2014

10 Facts About Me

With the plethora of "20 things about me" posts that I've seen lately on blogs I read and on instagram, I realized that I've never really done a getting to know you kind of post. Not that it's strictly necessary, at least in my case - I tell you all about me all the time anyway. Still, it's a rainy day, and I'm a bit sleepy, so this seems like an easy way to get through Hump Day. Twenty facts seems a bit excessive, so I thought I'd go with a more moderate ten.
1. I spent the first 16 years of my life in Colorado. No, I have never been skiing.
2. I bought my first vintage dress (it was a beautiful 50s shirt dress with a rose stripe pattern) about four years ago. My dog destroyed it about three years ago, and I still miss it.
1stvintagedress
3. When I was a kid, I would make up the most ridiculous stories, like that I was adopted from the Netherlands and had forgotten about it until I found the diary that I had written when I was still there, or that I had published a book but it was only available in Rhode Island. I'm pretty sure no one believed me.
4. The library in my home town had a great selection of pretty old books, and I would read the Oz books obsessively. My favorite color is green because I would pretend that green things would magically transport me to Emerald City.
emerald-city-tom-zukauskas2
5. I have pretty... eclectic tastes in music. I listened mostly to heavy metal and folk music all through high school and college, but recently I've gotten into what I've jokingly come to call "lady pop" - indie pop music with female singers.
6. I actually got my passport to fly to Norway to see the final concert of one of my favorite bands, a Norwegian folk rock group called Gåte.

7. Although I don't sing much anymore, I studied opera in college and played with a band for a few years. I still really enjoy going to the Lyric Opera here in Chicago when I can afford tickets.
8. I am not a picky eater when it comes to most things, but I have some serious issues with texture. I've eaten Rocky Mountain oysters, balut, and more than one dish made with brains with some enthusiasm, but just looking at prime rib makes me slightly nauseous.
9. Tilda Swinton is one of my celebrity icons. I swear, she's some kind of elfin sprite who's been transported to our universe, not an actual human woman.
TIlda-as-white-witch-warrior
10. Sometimes it actually, legitimately makes me sad to think that magic doesn't exist. When I finish reading a really good fantasy book, I'll often be kind of depressed afterwards.

If you comment, I want you to tell me one interesting thing about yourself. Have fun!

13 comments:

  1. How lovely to find out more about you - though I am sorry about that dress and your dog!! I particularly identified with your point about magic not existing. I spent hours as a child after school trying to move pennies along my bedroom windowsill with the power of my eyes; I'd just read Dahl's Matilda and was convinced that if you believed it, it would happen...
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, Matilda. That book was such a huge part of my childhood. I also tried to practice telekinesis because of it.

      Delete
  2. When I was little I used to pretend I was deaf or had a broken leg... and someone else I knew pretended she was Chinese on a regular basis. I do so enjoy childhood imagination! And I totally agree with the food texture thing - it's my issue with fish sticks. Worst food texture EVER. Can't even look at the things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I wasn't the only one that did crazy things like that! I remember once trying to put on a fake accent and tell someone that I was French. It was great, right up until the point where they started speaking to me in French.

      Delete
  3. Love this post! It's always a special treat and honour to learn more about my favourite bloggers. We share #5 in common big time. My tastes are often quite electric in most areas of my life and music is definitely no exception. Classical, 80s hair bands, classic rock, jazz, 90s alternative, R&B, the list of genres I love goes on and on! :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's awesome! I'm discovering a nascent love of punk as well, thanks to my guy and his incessant record playing.

      Delete
  4. It's very nice to get to know you better. I'm with you on the food texture thing, for me the two worst foods are mushrooms and shrimp. One funny thing about me, I've been crafty my whole life. Years ago (10+) a friend asked my if there was any crafts that I didn't do. I said "Knitting, I never have and never will!!" Now, it's my number 1 craft, I'm completely addicted. Funny how things work out.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how it works out like that, isn't it? I never thought I'd be as into cooking as I am, but it's one of those things that I've come to absolutely love.

      Delete
  5. Magic does exist!!! I believe it does! Don't ever not believe bc darnit there is! xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D:D:D:D You're giving me Tinkerbell feelings. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. I'm with Daffny. I stubbornly believe in magic inside, no matter what I might say aloud. The world doesn't feel as magical as it used to, though. In fact, I think the thing I am looking forward to most about motherhood is making the world seem magical to my children, and diving back into belief and fantasy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so wonderful. That's the sort of thing that makes me want to have children as well.

      Delete
  7. Don't be depressed, I believe in unicorns. I am sure they exist. I want to believe!
    As magic!

    ReplyDelete