Friday, September 5, 2014

Ch-ch-ch-changes (because I realized my outfit was hiddy)

I know I just talked about not liking an outfit that I was wearing because it just didn't feel like me, so it's kind of ironic that yesterday I ended up wearing an outfit that I felt completely comfortable in, but which did me no favors.
For some reason, I just haven't been able to get a move on in the mornings. I don't know what it is, but I've been running about 10 minutes behind every day this week. I guess I've been spending a little more time on my hair and makeup, and not getting up early enough to compensate, which means that I'm getting dressed in a hurry.
IMG_20140904_074859_124
Worth the extra time? I can't decide.
I try to compensate by spending some time thinking about what I want to wear while I'm getting ready, but what works in my head doesn't always work on my body. Yesterday, I decided to wear this outfit.
IMG_4007
I love both pieces separately, and I think the colors work pretty well together, but the proportions are not good for me. I'm broad shouldered already, and the short, fluttery sleeves just emphasize that. I don't mind a strong shoulder, but I think it works best with a sleeker, 1940s silhouette, a la Joan Crawford. Paired with this skirt, it just makes me look bigger all over than I really am. These sandals don't seem to be helping matters either, making my legs look shorter and thicker than they actually are.
At first I couldn't figure out why none of my pictures where turning out well. I thought it was bad posture, or bad lighting, or a bad camera angle, before it hit me - it was just a bad outfit. It was kind of a relief to realize that, because my clothes are the easiest thing to change.
I know it's kind of silly to completely change my outfit just for pictures for the blog, but so be it. I already fake some things a little bit, adding lipstick or a belt so I look better for the camera - why not a whole outfit?
IMG_4059
I kept the skirt, but I switched out the top for a printed t-shirt, and my flat brown sandals for my awesome new orange wedges. I also added a scarf and a pair of earrings that I received with my Chronically Vintage order from Etsy. I hadn't worn them before because my ears are stretched and I usually wear spirals, but they fit just fine alongside the little double flare plugs I've been wearing lately. They're nickel free and super cute, and I can't wait for the full line to come out.
IMG_4051
Brian came outside as I was taking photos, and he teased me a little bit about cultural appropriation.
"What do you mean?"
"You look like the Chiquita Banana lady."
Carmen-Miranda-resize-2
He might have a point.
I don't know if I'll have time to wear this outfit again before the weather changes (60s next week!!!!), but the lessons about proportion are definitely good ones for me. I'm also going to try to budget my time a little bit better in the mornings so I can spare the time for a glance the mirror, just to make sure everything's come together.

8 comments:

  1. I agree about the pink top. It's lovely but a slimmer skirt would suit it much better. I like the final outfit you've put together too, Carmen-Miranda-ish or not. :)

    I have the morning time problem the other way around. I spend time picking an outfit and spend no time on my hair and wear no make-up. Hats are good for the hair problem, but I think as I learn to style myself a bit more I need to change my habits about getting-ready-time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like if you make hats for a living, you have a built in excuse to wear hats every day.

      Delete
  2. I think it's really hard to make floaty tops work with big skirts, broad shouldered or not. It just feels like too much is sticking out and your body is hidden somewhere underneath it all! Your second outfit is definitely my fave - probably because it's way more fun. Platform red heels surely make everything better ;) You look super pretty in the first pic, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I'm trying out some new makeup looks. It's taking some getting used to, but I think I like it. And I'll definitely be sticking to sleeker skirts with that top, full ones just do not work.

      Delete
  3. First of all, I'm crazy touched that you not only wore, but discussed my handmade nickel-free earrings in this great outfit post, dear Jessica. Thank you deeply for doing so (I appreciate it to no end).

    I see the Chiquita Banana gal vibe, too, and it's all kinds of fun. :) It's really tricky to make floaty/gauzy tops work if you don't have great arms. I personally think this beautiful peachy-pink top looks fantastic on you (you have great arms!), but get that if you don't feel happy in a garment, it rarely matters what others think of you in it - you'll feel totally at ease in it.

    The second outfit is my favourite, too, but I like both. Perhaps a belt and a cardi or shurg with the first would help you like it more (floaty tops are almost always layering pieces for me, if I do dare wear them).

    Thank you again immensely!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love that first top, actually, but I think a more fitted skirt would offer a better silhouette. I could definitely see doing it with the same skirt again and a cardigan on top, thank you for the advice.
      And I feel a bit remiss in not mentioning the earrings earlier! I really liked them, but like I said, I don't have many opportunities to wear them. They're very cute and well made, though, and I have no doubt they'll be very popular once you launch them.

      Delete
  4. I love how the simple change of the top and shoes can completely change the outfit. I love both versions, really :).

    ReplyDelete