Monday, September 8, 2014

Cheap Thrills: Autumn Foliage

It's kind of sad how much of my day I can spend on Etsy. I'll be browsing blogs looking for inspiration, or just reading a news article, and it'll trigger a thought - "hey, I would love to have a skirt/hat/blouse/thing like that!" And then I'll have to go search for it, and add various iterations to my ever expanding set of lists. I've got dresses, skirt suits, plaid skirts, blouses, cardigans, foundation garments, loungewear... There are more than 20 of them now, and I add new ones pretty regularly. I like making lists, and a site like Etsy makes it easy for me to indulge my compulsive tendencies.
I've realized recently that my wardrobe is populated largely by solids. Solids are definitely great in their own way, and I love to do a bold color block, but I would like to incorporate more prints into my wardrobe. Lately I've been loving autumn florals, and I've found 15 great items, all under $50, to indulge my shopping fantasies (and my list-making mania).

50swatercolordaydress
50s Watercolor Day Dress from ShopVintageMinnie
50sfloraldaydress

50s Floral Day Dress from RecyclingHistory

40sfloralblouse
Cropped Chiffon Floral Blouse from RetroAmour
80sdoes30snavyfloraldress
80s Does 30s Navy Floral Dress from Triflings
70sdoes30sdropwaistdress
70s Does 20s/30s Drop Waist Dress from StarlingDarlin
70sdoes40sRoseprintblouse
70s Does 40s Rose Print Blouse from VoyeurVintage
90sdoes40sroseprintdress
90s Does 40s Rose Print Dress from TheJollyGargoyle
80sdoes40snavyfloraldress
80s Does 40s Navy Floral Dress from Ponsonbys
50sartsyfloral
50s Artsy Floral Dress from Wyogems
floralandstripeblouse
80s Does 40s Floral and Stripe Top from StashonYork
blackfloralcardigan
1949 Black Floral Cardigan from PrairieGlenVintage
50sredfloraldress
50s Red Floral Shirtdress from RosasVintageFinds
50srosecardigan
50s Rose Print Cardigan from SweetBeaFinds
50sautumnfloralskirt
50s Autumn Floral Skirt from 4getMeNotShop
60spaisleyfloraldress
60s Paisley Floral Shirtdress from SmallEarthVintage

Any of these guys catching your eye? I love that floral and stripe blouse, or the 60s shirt dress. Is there anything you would like to incorporate more of into your wardrobe in the new season?

6 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about trying to incorporate more patterns! I always get a bit worried I don't know what looks nice and suddenly I'm buying something plain again instead. Florals I find especially hard because of that fine line between nice and 70s carpet I always seem to be battling with. But the stupid thing is I like other people's choices! The red shirt dress and autumn skirt here for example. So clearly I'm just being a wally :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all goes "grandma's couch" so easy, doesn't it? I'm getting to the point where I don't even consider that a bad thing, frankly. I do the same thing as you, though, looking at patterns and thinking how pretty they are and then buying a solid because it seems more practical. Another habit to break...

      Delete
  2. You're not alone!!! I've gone down the Etsy rabbit hole, so to speak, countless times at this point, too. They ol' "I'll just check and see if they have any of item X there for two minutes" turns into a full night of searching, one hunt branching off into another like the arms of the Amazon River, dozens (or more) items favourited, and usually one or two things purchased or seriously planned to be soon. It's very fun and there's nothing wrong with it of course, but can be dangerous for the ol' wallet. :D

    This is an awesome selection of fall hued garments - they're sporting my favourite seasonal palette in the world and each appeal to me as well, especially the 50s floral print skirt.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the branches. Like, you're looking for one particular thing, but as you're searching, you see something that makes you think of something else, and then you realize that you've been meaning to get a new hat for a while, and then you find one and you realize you don't have any jewelry that goes with it... At least, that's my process. I'm a bit ridiculous, though. :P Glad I'm not alone in that!

      Delete
  3. Glad to know I'm not the only one who can waste hours and hours on etsy and pinterest looking for inspiration and adding garments to my ever growing list of must haves. Some of these are just to die for, I think my jaw hit the keyboard.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you saw some ones you liked! It can be such a headache wading through etsy, sometimes I like looking at what other people curate.

      Delete