Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Cheap Thrills: Thrift Store Edition

I think I've already mentioned this a couple of times, but one of my big goals for putting together my fall wardrobe is to spend less money. When I'm shopping online, I'm trying to check eBay as much as Etsy; I'm also trying to spend some time searching through thrift stores, which can be a vintage loving girl's best friend.
Friday was Brian and I's anniversary, so I met him by his work to take him out for dinner and a show. I was a little early, and I decided to kill some time looking through a great little antique shop (well, antique shop is a little generous; junk shop might be more accurate). Initially I was scoping out the jewelry in the cases, but when I told the guy that I was really looking for budget pieces, he showed me the "bargain bins" - two tubs full of damaged, or unattractive, or generally less special pieces of jewelry.
I spent a happy half hour digging through them. At 2 for $5, there was no reason not to. I ended up finding 5 pieces, which he gave to me for $10.
A faux pearl necklace.
IMG_3990
I've been wanting one for a while, so this was a great find.
These cute yellow clip on earrings.
IMG_3991
I think those are daisies on them.
A tassel necklace.
IMG_3989
There are little faux seed pearls at the ends of the tassel.
A pair of collar tips.
IMG_3992
There was a trend for these a couple of years ago, but I never got them because they were too expensive. I think they'll add a fun, Western flair to some of my outfits.
A pretty, deco-inspired hairpin.
IMG_3993
It's missing a couple of rhinestones, but I think that just adds character.
Not bad for $2 a piece. I've definitely become something of a jewelry horse these days, and I felt like each of these pieces was interesting and versatile enough to be well worth the cost.
On Saturday, I walked over to a huge thrift store in my neighborhood. Looking through a thrift store, I've realized, is a lot like pawing through those bargain bins. A lot of what you're looking at is going to be absolute crap (or at least, totally wrong for you), but with some time and effort, you might find just the thing you've been looking for for practically no money at all.
The thrift store was extraordinarily busy. I didn't realize it, but they were offering an extra 50% off of everything in the store, so there were a lot of parents outfitting their kids for back to school, or just getting new clothes for themselves. I wasn't quite as lucky as I was with my jewelry shopping, but I did leave with a few pieces that I'm really happy with, and I spent less than $5.
IMG_4000
IMG_3997
Pockets!
I am so happy with this skirt. It's felted wool, fits really nicely, and works perfectly with the whole Russian fairytale thing that I want to bring into my fall wardrobe. The only issue that I've found is that there was a little bit of elastic at the waistband to help with fit, and that's completely worn out. I might see if I can just ruche it and sew it down, since putting new elastic in would be a bit beyond my skill set.
I also picked up a charcoal sweater and black chiffon scarf. They aren't the most exciting purchases that I've ever made, but the sweater is the sort of go with anything, wardrobe workhorse that I always tell myself I need more of. The scarf, as it turns out, is a bit too long to wear the way I would normally wear a headscarf, but I'm sure I'll figure out plenty of uses for it.

9 comments:

  1. You just can't beat rummaging through thrift store racks or bargain tubs of junk! I'm itching to get out to the shops just from reading this :)

    I love the things you found, especially the skirt and the hairpin. And I agree about a few missing rhinestones - who cares? Who is looking that closely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably just me. Hopefully just me. :-/
      Tubs of junk! They're the best! They can really only be beaten by tubs of nice things that someone is letting me have for free.

      Delete
  2. Ah those collar tips are so amazing and that tassel necklace. Did you go to village discount? I love their 50% off days
    Justine
    http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Right across the street from the Congress. It's great, I love how they have everything organized by color.

      Delete
  3. You definitely found treasures on your hunt and at a great price too. That skirt is devine, perfect for fall. Its great to be able to add more staples to the wardrobe too, even if they aren't the most exciting, they can be what we are most thankful for in a hurried morning trying to get out the door.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My thoughts exactly. I almost put the sweater back because I wasn't exactly excited about it, but then I realized that it's exactly the sort of think I complain about not having enough of every single winter.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic finds - and what reasonable prices!!! I wish we had a shop around these parts like that. As close as I come, if I'm really lucky, is the odd yard sale or thrift store find for a similar song. I especially like those cheerful yellow earrings - they're like wearing the sun with you wherever you go.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really lucky to live where I do. There wasn't anything like this in the small town where I grew up either, but I was lucky that we could stop at a Salvation Army in Denver on a pretty regular basis for school clothes and things like that. I do love those earrings, I'm having kind of a moment with them!

      Delete
  5. That's a fabulous skirt for such a great price!

    ReplyDelete