Thursday, September 11, 2014

Links to love

I've got some great reads for you guys today.
Flashback Summer: Loving Your Body vs. Making a Change
Dove-Real-Beauty-Campaign
This is something that I've been thinking about in my own life. While I don't have any major weight issues, I have had a bit of creeping weight gain over the past few years. Part of me has just done a mental shrug, but I also know that it's easier to keep my weight down now than it would be to lose 5, or 10, or 20 lbs a few years down the road. What I think is a really important is continuing to love and respect yourself, even if you don't fit your own ideal. I don't think hating your body gets you anything but an eating disorder. You should always try to be your own friend, even when the temptation is to be your worst critic instead. After all, you wouldn't tell a friend that she's fat and ugly and gross and no one will ever love her. Why do so many women tell that to themselves? 
Ask Polly: Why Don't the Men I Date Ever Love Me?
giraffes-in-love
Absolutely epic letter from an advice columnist to a woman who wrote in. It's worth a read, and it's definitely spurring me to find my spark. Say it with me: I. Should. Be. Cherished.
Use This One Word If You Want Your Facebook Posts to Do Better
Congrats
Well, now I know how I'm going to start all of my status updates about blog posts. "Congratulations, world! You get to read more of my wit and witticisms."
The Afghan Girls Who Live As Boys
bachaposh
This article was really fascinating to me. What's interesting is not just that this happens, but that it happens regularly, and is accepted in society. It reminded me a little bit of something that I read about Albanian Sworn Virgins - women in the western Balkans (these days, mostly just in Albania) who swear to remain celibate in order to live their lives as men. Like Afghanistan, Albania is a strictly patriarchal society, and in the absence of a man to take care of the things that a man is supposed to take care of (like earning money or providing protection), women have to find some kind of workaround. While I deplore the necessity for it, I have to appreciate that there are accepted measures that women can take, where everyone kind of acknowledges that there has to be a way to circumvent the rules sometimes.
Take a One Way Trip From Tatty to Natty
dvtairport
And she eve handles her own luggage.
I love this article about the virtues of dressing up when you're traveling. Sure, there's something to be said for wearing comfortable clothes as well, but there's never really a good reason to be strolling through the airport in your PJs. When I think of glamorous travel, I always think of this photo of Dita, strolling through the airport looking like a million bucks. Sure, most of us don't have her means, or a hoard or paparazzi waiting for us when we disembark, but I like to dress like I do.

7 comments:

  1. Ah Dita is a goddess. I totally agree I read the article and I love all the points he made. I usually wear dresses even when I travel just because I don't think Ive worn jeans in a long while like months. I do get some looks from people. Im sure people wonder why Im so dressed up or don't you want to be comfortable for your flight. And you know what? I am comfortable, I find dresses to be very comfortable and also any flight Ive taken for the past year hasn't been more then 2 or 3 hours tops. I think I can really handle not wearing pjs or sweatpants for that length of time. I don't mean to idealize time's that had societal issues of their own, but I will admit I romanticize even the 60's lets say when people put effort into their appearance when traveling because it was a luxury in itself, heck when people put effort into their appearance when just heading out the door to go grocery shopping. I am a firm believer that there is never ever a reason to have to leave the house in pjs.
    Justine
    http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I get wanting to be comfortable, but I don't think that you have to be a total slob to do it. I've read rebuttals to the article, which basically say that flying is a terrible experience and dressing way, way down is like a form of protest; to me, though, the only person that you're bringing down is yourself. It's fun to get a little dressed up, especially if you're doing something that's less than fun, like getting packed onto an airplane. I'm not wearing anything all that fancy when I'm flying, but a cute skirt and a sweater are comfortable, and I still feel like myself.

      Delete
  2. "Congratulations to me on another great Facebook status!" :)

    I love Emileigh's controversial posts! They always get me thinking and provoke interesting comments to read too. I'm in a similar situation to you. I'm a healthy weight, but it is more than it used to be. I grew up very very skinny, until my twenties, and although I don't want to go back to that (having boobs is nice), I've not been happy with my weight at times. Of course, I like to bake and eat cookies, so something has to give here :)

    I would hate to wear trackies while travelling. I feel daggy wearing them at home! Having taken mostly long international flights in my life, I do dress casually, usually jeans and a plain top (plus a jumper and a coat regardless of the temperature because it saves room in the luggage), but I always make sure I'm at least presentable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Australia's not exactly close to many places, is it? I don't blame you for going for comfort, but I think you can be comfortable and still be somewhat presentable. It sounds like you have a good handle on that.
      I used to love to bake, but it feels like a bit of a mixed blessing that the kitchen in my new place isn't well set up for it. On the one hand, I miss churning out treats for everyone, but on the other hand, I don't eat all my mistakes all the time!

      Delete
  3. congratulations to me on not having facebook yet!!!!!

    oh, i love dita and her luggage! are there wheels on teh vintage suitcase? how did she manage that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No facebook? I've had one since it was still college students only, at this point I can't imagine not having it. And I think she's just got all of her luggage on a cart. It's so cool that she has these battered vintage suitcases, though.

      Delete
  4. I always, always, always dress up when I travel!!! When I flew to see Tony in person (we met online) for the first time, I actually had people ask me if I was a model, going to/coming from a wedding, an actress, or celebrity (and three guys hit on me massively, one even inviting me out - yes, because that would have worked well when we landed and went to different parts of the country, oh and you know, I was going to meet my boyfriend!!!!). I may not have gotten to experience the days of glam air travel first hand, but that doesn't mean I can't try to revive them myself when I hit the road, the air or sea and love that many other vintage ladies (and a small handful of other folks) share this same outlook.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete