Monday, September 22, 2014

Heart of Haute Review: Gypsy Skirt in Peacock Royale

I've been a very spendy little minx lately. I don't really feel too guilty about it - I was in a position where I could check off some boxes on my "things I want for fall" list, so, well, I did. I didn't buy anything very expensive or extravagant, just a bit more at once than I normally would have. Consequently, you can expect to see a few more reviews on here than you normally would.
One of the items that I picked up was a skirt from Heart of Haute, the Gypsy Skirt in the Peacock Royale print. I'd seen photos of the print and loved it, and given how happy I was with the first piece I ordered from HOH, I decided to go for it. It also fits in pretty nicely with the folk influence that I wanted to bring into my wardrobe for fall, which is an excellent bonus.
IMG_4436
The print is even prettier in person than it is in photos. Blue and green are my favorite colors, and there are so many shades of it in this skirt, accented by pops of yellow. The peacocks are also edged in gold that really shimmers in the light. The cotton is lightweight, but seems to be fairly high quality - it's soft, smooth, and even, and it ironed out really nicely before I put it wore it.
IMG_20140920_183921_431
I didn't realize until my nails were done that they matched the skirt. I can't say I'm made about it.
I ordered a medium, and it seems to be pretty true to size. The waistband is about two inches wide, and that might actually be slightly too wide for me. I can't really explain the wonkiness, but I would probably have preferred a standard 1 or 1.5 inch waistband.
IMG_4414
The other thing that I don't love is the self tie belt. I can't tie a decent looking bow for shit, so I ended up just knotting it and letting the tails hang, which wasn't ideal. I guess I could always just wear it backwards, so I could have the bow in the back, but I really wish it were a removable sash instead so I could swap it out for other belts. 
I wish that these photos did the skirt justice, but it was a warm and very humid day, so it was just kind of hanging there. I plan on wearing it on a regular basis, and I've got some interesting ideas for it for the future.

13 comments:

  1. I have this skirt in black, I just LOVE the thick waist band! And just by the way, that little tie comes off really easily with a seam ripper if you don't want it. I took mine off, and you can't tell it was ever there in the first place! When I want the belt I just fasten it back on again with a sparkly brooch. I love the peacocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, thank you for that tip! I thought it was sewn into the back seam, but I'll have to look a little bit more closely.

      Delete
  2. That is a great print and I love the way you've styled it here. Nice and simple to let the skirt be the star of the show. I look forward to seeing more takes on it later though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There are so many shades of blue and green in the print, I'm really excited to bring a little bit more color into the mix.

      Delete
  3. I think wide waistbands can be really tricky too - especially as I'm lacking in the height department! But I don't really see the issue on you, I think this is a great little outfit - accessorised perfectly, as well, with that fab blue headscarf. And I still want those shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear, I've worn them in practically every post over the last couple months. Must break out of the rut, even though they're awesome.

      Delete
  4. That is a lovely skirt! The blue headwrap and green manicure are perfect accompaniments :)

    ~Isabella
    adventuresinhel.blogspot.fi 

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! I couldn't resist the matching mani.

      Delete
  5. What a great fall skirt and I quite like where you are taking pictures. It's kind of urban nature:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is actually at a little urban corner farm just down the street from my house. There was no one around, so I figured I'd use it for some pictures.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful addition to your fall wardrobe. I would see how hard it would be to remove the sash. Personally, it's a little detail like that, that would stop me from wearing it. So I say do what to can to make it perfect. You style it so well here, I look forward to seeing how else you wear it in the future.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm definitely going to take a second look at the sash, because the more I think about it, the more it annoys me, particularly since a couple of the ideas I have involve a pussy bow blouse which would look weird with it. But thank you! I'm really excited to play around with it a bit more.

      Delete
  7. Loveee this skirt on you!! I recently discovered Heart of Haute & I adore the brand! I have a harlequin skirt & dress by them :)

    ~Bristol
    colourmebristol.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete