Monday, September 15, 2014

Where in the world is Carmen Sandiego?

I used to watch this show obsessively when I was a kid, and I hated the fact that they could never catch her. "Why are you stupid kids so stupid?!?! You suck!" I was not the most patient or understanding of children.
Anyway, I know I'm missing the signature red trench, but as of this weekend, I now have not one, but two lipstick red hats. It's funny - I never used to like red very much, but as of this winter I just want to live in it. I'm also really into a slightly Dior-ish silhouette. I love the volume that this trench has, especially when paired with more fitted bottoms.
IMG_4256
From Saturday, with my new hat. I realized recently that none of the hats that I own actually have brims, so I'm trying to rectify that.
IMG_4254
Partly because if a hat has a brim, you can do that mysterious thing where you pull your hat down over your eyes. 
IMG_4239
I feel like this outfit, from Friday, is a little more artsy. Must be the flat shoes.
IMG_4193
Trying to do the old fashioned model poses. Note to self - girl, you are not Dovima.

I had a pretty solid weekend. Saturday included some shopping (more on that tomorrow), meeting up with Brian for a tasty lunch, then grabbing Polish food for dinner and playing Katamari with a friend. Sunday was a little more low key - about all I did was get groceries and nap, so I'm calling that one a success. 
What did you guys get up to this weekend? Anything fun? There was a huge music festival in the city this weekend, and while I didn't attend, I could still hear it from my porch. Given that there's about 2 miles between us, that's pretty impressive.

Outfit 1
Hat: Vintage Underground
Trench: Forever21
Pants: Topshop
Shoes: Asos

Outfit 2
Hat, Skirt: Vintage Underground
Trench: Forever21
Shoes: Asos

8 comments:

  1. Holy cow, you look fantastic in this trench! I love the color, the shape... fabulous! Also, love the nod to Carmen Sandiego. She's one fashionable lady. :P

    Glad to hear you had a good weekend! I was traveling for some of it, but when I wasn't traveling, mine wasn't bad, either.

    Cheers,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, dear! I'm glad to hear that you had a good weekend yourself.

      Delete
  2. Same here!!! Ditto with Magic School Bus and Wishbone (so cute!) - those shows will always be a part of my after school in the 90s memories.

    These red hats look awesome on you! I adore red as well and turn it into one of my signature colours (usually with black and/or grey) all winter long.

    Great Forever 21 find! Soooo many folks like to trash talk F21, and I fully acknowledge that it's rife with pieces for the teeny bopper set and of-the-moment trends, but there fabulous, vintage appropriate gems to be had there, too, if one is patient and willing to devote some elbow grease to sleuthing them out (I have a turquoise beaded cardigan that I got from F21 in early 2012, for example, that is a staggeringly good stand in for the real 50s deal).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so in love with this hat! Now if only it would stay on my head on a windy day... With my hair this length, my hat pins have become kind of useless.
      I'm trying not to let f21 be my go to store anymore, but they do have some nice stuff if you're willing to sort through it all. That turquoise beaded cardigan is just the sort of thing that I mean - I have a beautiful black lace top that's lasted me several years and looks like it's Dolce and Gabbana, and the trench I'm wearing has been a spring and fall staple for me for the past couple of years.

      Delete
  3. I have absolutely no idea what show you're talking about but I'm loving the hat! Tres chic - loving a modern twist the first look is my favourite. How good does that trench look on you?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *lol* Maybe they didn't have it in the UK. It was this dorky kids' show about a super villian that would travel the world, and taunt these kids trying to find her with clues. I think it was supposed to teach you geography, actually.

      Delete
  4. I never watched the show, but I remember the computer game! I will sympathise with the failure to actually find her, I sucked at it too :P

    These outfits are great. The first one is my favourite, with the nice slim line beneath the flare of the trench, and that hat is great! Hats with brims are awesome, and I do love a red hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never would have thought I'd turn into a hat person, because for years I insisted I just couldn't wear them. My collection has been growing so fast over the past year, though, and the first red one is probably my favorite right now.

      Delete