Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Fear Itself

120503_Exp_Scream-EX.jpg.CROP.rectangle3-large
Horror is such a subjective thing. Slasher flicks with human serial killers might give me jump scares, and body horror films might disgust me, but ghost stories are what really terrify me. I can't quite talk myself out of my belief in ghosts (which, when you think about it, is stupid - there are actually serial killers, and people actually do mutilate other people; why am I so scared of the one that hasn't actually been proven to exist?), and after I watch a horror movie like The Ring, I don't sleep well because I feel like something's going to grab my feet in the night, and wiping the steam off the mirror after a shower creeps me out because I'm convinced I'm going to see something unnatural behind me in the reflection. Conversely, I know some people that found Cabin in the Woods really scary - to me, it was a comedy all the way through.
Of course, what scares us in real life can be very different from what scares us in a movie. You know what stupid ass thing I'm scared of? Moths. That's right, I'm scared of moths. Butterflies are fine, but I've been told that when I was really little, a whole cloud of moths flew up in my face, getting into my mouth and nose and eyes, which apparently scarred me for life. If there's one flying around the house, I feel compelled to kill it. On a more normal note, it's only in the past few years that I can bring myself to kill a spider instead of running screaming from the room the second that I see one. That's only because if I run away, it might hide and wait for me.
I'm not scared of snakes, but I am scared of cows. Snakes are cool. Cows will kick you.
I wouldn't say that I'm scared of heights, but I am scared of falling from them. Frankly, I think that's totally rational. Flying is fine, and looking down from a very tall building is fine, but I don't like standing on the top step of a stepladder.
If you want to talk about real fears, my boyfriend dying is probably at the top of the list. He biked home drunk one night a while back, and I was equal parts terrified and angry at him, and I was mostly angry because I was so scared he'd get hit by a car or something. That might be the worst way to affirm that you really love a person.
So, tell me - what scares you?

4 comments:

  1. I just watched an episode of Stalker where the bad guy was subjecting his victims to their worst fears while filming them. The kicker, he found out these Women's fears through social media. So, I'll say, I'm afraid to admit my fears. I am afraid of all the bad guys on t.v but am addicted to the shows because I want to see them all caught and going to jail. They disturb me and comfort me in the same hour.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so creepy! That would be awful if that really happened, although I guess it's kind of funny that I just asked the question after you saw something that makes you really, really not want to answer it.
      I tend to feel the same way. You see really terrible things on shows like Law and Order, but at the end, everything is usually wrapped up and justice is served. It would be nice sometimes if the world was a little more like that.

      Delete
  2. There are lots of real and serious things that scare me, of course, but of the more foolish things... I also get scared by ghost stories, but I love reading them. I try to stick to milder stories and movies so I can get the chills I like without too much sleep deprivation. I am usually calm with spiders and have dealt with snakes (both of these perhaps out of necessity from living with people who really did freak out so I had to be the one in charge!), but I can't handle the gross bugs of the world. Slugs. Maggots. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I've lost a little bit of my self sufficiency in dealing with spiders and creepy crawlies now that I live with my boyfriend. I used to have to deal with them; now I just yell for him to do it.

      Delete