Monday, October 27, 2014

Shenanigans

I love those days that feel a little out of step with the season they're actually in. Saturday was a perfect example - it's late October, but at 70+ degrees and sunny, it felt more like a perfect summer day. As eager as I've been to put aside my summer clothes, it was kind of nice to bust them out again for one last hurrah.
IMG_5358
I've hardly worn these shoes since I got them. Not only are they suede, which doesn't mesh well with wet weather, they are really heavy. I walked to and from the coffee shop in them, and while they weren't really all that uncomfortable, I had to walk very slowly, turning a 30 minute round trip into a 50 minute one, and eventually my knees started to bother me.
IMG_5381
They are so freaking cute though. Worth the struggle.
IMG_5395
I did my makeup up a little fancy, and even used some false eyelashes just on the outer corners to give me some fluttery lashes. This tree is still killing at as my background of choice.
Saturday was actually a pretty eventful night for me. Some friends came over for a little bonfire, and afterwards Brian and I got all dressed up for a Halloween dance party at a bar in our neighborhood.
IMG_5446
Brian is Dracula. You can tell he's Dracula because he looks just like Brian, but with a cape. I'm some kind of steampunk grease monkey urchin type, which you can tell because I'm dressed just like me, but with a corset, goggles, and eyeshadow artfully smeared on my face like streaks of soot.
IMG_5469
IMG_5471
We called these my YA novel cover shots. Seems about right. The light that we're holding in these pictures is actually part of a lamp that Brian and his brother are working on, and I think it's spectacularly cool.
IMG_5462
The Prince of Darkness himself. 
After the dance party, we ended up going to a Mexican bar for dancing. We were definitely the odd ducks out, and although we got some funny looks, people were pretty friendly. I even got asked to dance, and the guy was so sweet about it. "Ok, I turn, then you!" After an hour or so of that, we crashed a party down the block from our house. It was ridiculously fun - everyone was dancing, everyone was in costume, and I don't think anyone realized that we weren't invited. It was probably 4am before we made it to bed, which is why I got up at noon and then spent all of Sunday lazing around in my PJs.
And I've got some exciting news that I can finally share with you, now that I've sprung the surprise on Brian - we're heading to New Orleans next weekend! Sure, waking up early the day after Halloween isn't exactly ideal, but a four day weekend in New Orleans should be worth it. We've been once before, but it was during Mardi Gras and was a total shit show. I think it'll be fun to get a real sense of the city, and I'm looking forward to paying another visit to the Trashy Diva store, as well as other vintage stores in the area. I've also got a laundry list of restaurants and attractions that I want to see, so I hope Brian will be up for some serious walking.

14 comments:

  1. Ah it's a shame those shoes are a pain because they look great - especially with this outfit. This is one of my favourite ensembles I've seen you in lately - gorgeous! And New Orleans sounds great; it makes such a difference to have short breaks to look forward to. Especially if they involve dress shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was really nice to pop back into something colorful for a little while. I do love my rusts and mustards and navys, but it was great to have a bit of a break.

      Delete
  2. I love this dress. It looks like it fits you perfectly. I hope you have a fabulous time in New Orleans. I haven't been for over twenty years but I do remember that it was an exciting place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really excited for it too. I've only been once before, and it will be nice to get a better feel for the real character of the city.

      Delete
  3. I adore those kinds of days, too. I think there should be a word just for them.

    Fabulous costumes!!! Can you believe that I still don't have mine or even know what I'm going to wear for Halloween. That is so incredibly uncharacteristic of me and I'm going to blame it all (okay, not all, but at least 50%) on this pesky two+ week flu!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Health crises suck, and it's got to be even worse when you've got something exciting coming up that you can't properly look forward to. But I'm glad that you seem to be getting back on your feet, and I have no doubt that you'll find something fantastic in time.

      Delete
  4. That dress fits you like a glove and looks fabulous, so glad you got to wear it one more time. I definitely think that those shoes are fabulous enough to warrant a little bit of pain. Every time I see them on the blog I drool a little bit.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping they'll get a bit easier to wear with time. I really wanted to wear them this fall with socks or tights, so we'll see if they get more comfortable.

      Delete
  5. "You can tell he's Dracula because he looks just like Brian, but with a cape." So perfect. My husband has done this one too!

    I love your summery dress and your cute steampunk look. New Orleans sounds awesome; I hope you have a great time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's so funny with that stuff. He spent the entire night stalking around with his arm over his face going "bleh!" I'm glad I'm not the only one with a weird SO.

      Delete
  6. I love red and turquoise, so of course I was going to think this look was fab!! Shame about the shoes. Maybe look out for another similar pair that are more comfortable? I had a pair of ankle strap burgundy shoes that killed my feet, but I kept hold of them until I found a near identical pair (but really comfortable), and then chucked them. You dress is gorgeous, and it must feel good to be wearing this kind of outfit this far into Autumn! Today we've had sunshine, hailstones, thunder & lightning, and it's been rather nippy. No bare legs for me until March... P x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love this look, and I think I'm going to keep trying with the shoes. I'm sure it's at least partly a matter of getting used to them - I just have to build up the proper muscles, I guess. And that was definitely the last hurrah for this kind of look, since by the end of this week we'll be getting down into the 20s.

      Delete
  7. This dress is great and those shoes are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They were such a great buy, totally worth any pain.

      Delete