Monday, October 6, 2014

Some women just want to watch the world burn...

I'm sure most people have heard of the Great Chicago Fire, which gutted the city in 1875. This year, Redmoon Theater, a fantastic (literally; their productions always tend to involve fantasy and steampunk themes) troupe, staged a spectacle on the river for the whole city to commemorate the event.
IMG_20141004_204158_329</> 
Unfortunately, it didn't go off quite as planned. After two days of steady rain, the soaked wood just didn't want to get going.
IMG_20141004_204215_619
The center turret, which you can see here, is about all that ended up burning. There was some kind of hidden shape or message inside the mansion that was supposed to be revealed, but I have no idea what it was supposed to be. After the 30,000 people who had turned out for it started leaving, they cued the fireworks, which I mostly missed because I'd retired to a bar for some beer and fried pickles.
If their spectacle didn't go off as well as one might hope, the spectacle that I put on was fairly successful.
IMG_4715
I was shooting for something in the realm of Evil Queen/Dark Fairy, and I think I pretty much hit the mark. These horns are polymer clay, so they're very lightweight, yet sturdy; I just clipped them on to my flower crown and was good to go. 
IMG_4698
I'm so in love with this cape. It's velvet, and while the seller said that it's from the 30s, I think it must be from the 50s, given the condition that it's in. It is, literally, perfect. The fabric is smooth, no nibbles from moths or crushing, and there's not a bead missing from the decoration on the collar. 
IMG_4695
And I figured my giant nose ring wouldn't hurt matters either.
IMG_4709
This is my "I'm evil" face.
Flower Crown: forever21
Sweater: Thrifted
Skirt: forever21 (old)
Shoes: Asos
On Sunday, some friends with an extra sewing machine and no room for it offered it to Brian and I, so now I can start trying to make my own clothes. I'm so excited! I've wanted one for a long time, and while this guy needs a little love (and a new foot), I'm pleased as punch just to have it.
IMG_20141005_204109
What'd you guys do this weekend? I hope you had as much fun as I did.

4 comments:

  1. Ah I wanted to go to that Chicago Fire event but I had to work that night but I hear the night was kind of a disaster anyways and that may be the one and only time they try it. Also that sewing machine is a beauty. I want to learn to sew with my goal being sewing my own dress by my next birthday.
    Justine
    http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was so bad. I guess they're going to do it again next year, though - hopefully it comes off a little bit better.

      Delete
  2. I love your outfit! The horns and flower crown combination is fabulous and a good cape always makes me smile :) (And the worst capes are still pretty good. Like chocolate milkshakes.)

    Good luck with the sewing! I've had many adventures in my attempts to make clothes and costumes, and some successes even :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel like it came out pretty well. I love these horns, I would wear them every day if I could. They're so much fun.

      Delete