Thursday, October 9, 2014

Links to Love

I'm feeling a little makeup obsessed right now, so I've got quite a few beauty themed links for you guys. 

What makeup should you probably throw away?
oldmakeup
I'm sure we're all guilty of this - keeping makeup that you don't use way past its sell by date. I actually just did a massive makeup drawer clean out, though, and I'm really happy. Old eyeshadows, sample sizes of things that I have no interest in using, six year old lipsticks that would probably give me a cold sore if I ever used them again, all deposited right in the trash. It definitely makes getting ready in the morning much easier.
How to create a Dolce&Gabbana-Inspired floral chain
01-flower-crown-lede.w1173.h780.2x
Sooooo preeeeeeetty. I might have to give this a try for Halloween.
Hear me out: I don't hate looking kind of goth in the fall
gothic-makeup-with-purple
Given how gothy my personal beauty ideals are, I definitely don't mind looking kind of goth any time of the year. I think she's got a point, though - there's nothing wrong with looking a little dark and witchy in the cooler months, when everyone is gravitating towards dark lipstick and smoky eyes anyway. There can be something really beautiful about that, and it's kind of a shame that so many people want to fight against it.
8 Beauty rules that are sexist, racist, and dumb
beauty-rules-makeup
I didn't even know that most of these were a thing. Mascara on your lower lashes is slutty? Who came up with that one? I like the only two rules that she suggests, which are to wear makeup that makes you happy and to blend well. Words to live by.
The best skincare products for getting redness under control, no matter what you're willing to spend
I was really happy when this article popped up, because my skin's been going a little nuts lately. I don't know if it's the weather or hormones or what, but my skin is back to doing this weird thing where it's simultaneously flaky and oil, and I'm having some acne issues, and my cheeks have decided that being red and uneven is way more fun than being skin colored. Booo-urns. I'm seriously considering picking up some of this stuff, just to see if it would help.

8 comments:

  1. Ah in love with this weeks post, does that make me superficial since its all about makeup. I say not. I am so guilty of the keeping makeup past its date. I think part of it is as I got older I started invested more money in expensive makeup, at least expensive for me. Although I think anyone would agree almost everything in Sephora is a splurge. So I think its hard for me for example to part with the Stila eyeshadow palette I got three years ago but have barely used because it was such an investment of my money. Yes I have way more Sephora beauty points built up then I should be proud of. I should look into what the shelf is on the makeup I have. I think trying to stay away from dark colors is dumb, in my opinion. But thats probably because that deep berry red lip is like my ideal lip color all year round. Im intrigued on this article on the beauty rules Im gonna read it now. And my skin has been extra bad lately breaking out wise I think its because of some cheap ELF makeup I picked up, I swear it made me break out. Also I always have issues with red skin :( I use foundation but I probably should make a visit to the dermatologist to find out how to take better care of my skin since Im clearly at a loss.
    Justine
    http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally rock the deep red lip, it looks really lovely on you. That's too bad that ELF isn't a good brand for you - I really like some of their products, but I know what you put on your skin is going to react a little different for everyone.

      Delete
  2. Mascara is the tricky one. It seems like three months just goes by too quickly and I am guilty of keeping this longer. It's hard to throw out makeup that isn't all used. I feel a bit guilty but at the same time so nice to purge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't like throwing at stuff that I haven't used up either, but sometimes it can feel good to get rid of the dead weight. I have the bad habit of buying stuff kind of at random, so getting rid of products that I don't use can help remind me of good stuff that I'd forgotten about.

      Delete
  3. Yeppers, I go subtly goth often in the fall and winter. I always wanted to successfully rock a full on goth look, but alas, I always seemed to end up looking sickly and like I was dressing for Halloween. Thankfully a little burgundy lippy (Viva from MAC is my top choice there), black clothes, and Victorian inspired jewelry can all be woven into my usual 40s/50s looks and still let me feel fairy goth-y all the same. :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds really lovely! I've been going crazy over Victorian and Edwardian inspired looks, I'm sure a fairy goth-y look is really stunning on you.

      Delete
  4. I love that the floral chain is made using actual real flowers! You don't see enough of that. I might have to see what my garden produces this year that could be suitable.

    I keep make-up way too long because I don't wear it often enough. It would be a total waste to throw it out so soon! As for the beauty "rules" - what a bunch of garbage! No long hair after 40? I'd better tell my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All those beauty rules are so dumb. I hate that people still feel like they have to live by them, they're so stifling. I would love to see a fresh made flower crown, that would be so pretty.

      Delete