Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Growing out a pixie cut

Since this week I'm talking a lot about what's going on on my head, I figured I'd do a little update about the stuff that's growing out of it as well. I've got a lot of pictures of my face, so, um, sorry? Or possibly you're welcome?
You might remember that back in May, I chopped off pretty much all of my hair. I went from shoulder length with bangs to a Jean Seberg inspired pixie cut, and I was (and still am) really happy with the decision. So much dye, so much heat styling, so many products - my hair was pretty fried, and the big chop was a necessary step.
One of the things that I was concerned about before I did it was the lack of styling options that is inherent in having very short hair. When I had a pixie cut before, I was very much in a wash-and-go phase, so I never really even attempted to explore different short styles. This time around, I was looking for them, and they're definitely there.
If you're contemplating a cropped cut or thinking about growing yours out, I do have a couple of pieces of advice.
1) Buy a tiny curling iron.
curling iron
Very similar to the one that I own, but somewhat nicer since it has settings other than hot and really hot.
I ended up owning a curling iron that I think is 1/2 or 3/8 inch in diameter because it came free with the larger barrel curling iron I actually wanted to buy. When I had longer hair, I pretty much forgot that I had it, but it comes in so handy with my shorter hair. Things like texture and the placement of your part might be the only things you can really change when you have very short hair, so appropriate tools can feel like a lifesaver when you're having a bad hair day.
2) Embrace a little shagginess...
IMG_4714
A really sharp, crisply cut pixie is a thing of beauty, but if you can't get to the salon every month (or can't afford to go every month), learn to love the growth. I'm actively trying to grow my hair out, but even if you're not, the softness of a slightly overgrown cut can be really pretty too.
3) ...but shave your neck.
I mean, if you want a mullet, that's cool, you do you, etc. But assuming you don't, regular neck trims are a must. If you're maintaining short hair and don't have the time or money for a full trim, it's the fastest way to look sharp if you're getting a little unkempt. When I was growing my hair out the last time I got a short cut, the best thing my stylist talked me into was getting an undercut at the back of my neck once I hit my awkward, not-a-pixie-not-yet-a-bob stage. It gave the rest of my hair time to grow out, and helped make the transition a little more graceful.
4) Take time to play.
IMG_4498
Freshly washed, no products, no styling. Still not my favorite look, although I'm a little more accepting of it now than I used to be.
I had a period not long after I cut my hair where I was kind of cursing the decision. My natural hair texture is very straight and rather fine, and short hair that just lays against my head isn't really a great look for me. It was a really good thing to me to realize that, oh hey, maybe the reason I don't like my hair is because I'm not doing anything with it. It can take some time and effort to find ways to style your hair when you don't have much to work with, but they are there. Products, curling irons, flat irons, hair pins, pin curls - all of these things are your friends.
IMG_20140817_131446_887
I did this on kind of a whim because I didn't want the front of my hair to just hang limply out from underneath my scarf.
IMG_20140817_174001_975
When I took the pincurls out, this is what I ended up with, and I really like it.
IMG_20141011_105735_260
It's become my go-to style lately, because it's very easy to recreate with a curling iron and takes about 10 seconds to do.
I know that I've said this before, but it's actually a pretty fun process going through all of these stages of growth, and it was one of the reasons that I opted for such a short cut. Sometimes I'll find a style that I love, but it will only work for a week or two before my hair grows just enough that it won't curl the same way, or lay the same way. It makes me feel oddly philosophical - it's a follicular reminder to live in the moment.
IMG_20141014_074546_550
Yesterday's hat. Why are bathrooms the perfect place to take a selfie? I never get the lighting and angles right outside of one.

8 comments:

  1. I hear you on not loving the way my hair looks when it's flat and unstyled, but I like the way yours looks like this! It's quite soft, but still pretty tidy and like you've done something with it. I can't say the same for mine, which naturally is a flat, heavy puffball. Yes, hair can be flat and puffy at the same time, trust me. Hence why I've developed so many elaborate ways to pin it, it's to reign the fluff in! Anyway, I also love your post pin curl look and I'm slightly envious you get to keep trying lots of different styles... But I'm still ultimately too scared to ever chop mine off! I at least know *how* to pin it long, short I'd have no clue...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have really awesome hair, and all that volume works so well with the kind of Gibson Girl styles that you do. It can be a challenge to work with short hair if you never have, but it can be fun too.

      Delete
  2. So very true - a sharp, crisp, excellently cut pixie is a thing of beauty that is every bit on par with long, flowing tresses, IMO.

    You know, I actually went hunting for pixie cut wigs (online) earlier this year and didn't find a ton that looked the classic gamine part. There are days when I'd welcome short hair and a change of pace from my usual curls, but so far none that seemed to suit me have surfaced. I'll just keep looking and admiring those of my short haired online friends all the more in the process.

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* I love your optimistic, philosophical outlook on growing your hair out. In my pre-wig days, that was usually my stance, too (though, granted, I never cut mine shorter than just above the shoulders).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck finding one. You might have some luck with sites or stores geared more towards black women - I feel like they tend to have trendier and more varied wig styles than other sites.

      Delete
  3. You have definitely had fun with your short hair, and it gives such variety to your looks. I think a light-hearted have-fun-and-play approach is good for hair, makeup, fashion, and probably everything in life reallly :)

    I love your beret look, but will I get in trouble if I say how French it is? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I know. Striped shirt, beret - I might as well have a pencil mustache and a baguette under my arm.

      Delete
  4. I have had such fear about cutting my hair short. Like nightmares, I don't know why this is considering I shaved my head in high school (oh yeah, I was that rebel). You make short hair seem so versatile. I love your take on the different stages of growing out. Beautiful as always.

    She Knits in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! I remember having a dream once about having long hair that got cut off, and I kept pulling on it to make it grow back - which, in the dream, actually worked.

      Delete