Thursday, October 23, 2014

Halloween Makeup Tutorials

Halloween is easily my favorite holiday. Any reason to dress up is a good one to me, and it seems that the groundswell of enthusiasm for the holiday has given people license to spend the entire month of October doing it. I've got a couple of costumes in mind for the season, but there are so many great makeup tutorials and costume ideas online that it's easy to find something if you're feeling uninspired, or waiting for the last moment to see what you can put together out of your closet.
Pop Art Girl
I love this straightforward tutorial from Emma Pickles about how to get the look of a classic Roy Lichtenstein pop art girl. It's the sort of look that doesn't require much in the way in materials (black eyeliner is pretty much your main tool), but is definitely a wow look that would make for amazing photos.

Silent Film Star
I'm so amazed by photos that I've seen of other black and white Halloween costumes, and this tutorial makes it look it look easy. My love of the 20s makes this one a no-brainer, and it also offers a good excuse not to talk to anyone at a party. No video, but she lays everything out really well in the article.
MTI1Mzk5OTgwNTU4MDQzMTQ2
Silent Film Star Tutorial
Fall Fairy
An autumnal fairy would be a beautiful costume, and an easy one to accessorize with a short trip to the craft store to pick up some leaves and fall flowers. The makeup is a little involved, but it's the sort of stuff most of us have in our makeup boxes. A floaty dress is all you really need to complete the fae image.

Zombie
There are more detailed and ghoulish zombie makeup tutorials out there, but I love the simplicity of this one. It would be pretty easy to put this together using items that are either in your makeup box already, or cheap and easy to pick up from Walgreens.

Kim Kardashian
If you really want to scare people, there's always Kim Kardashian. (I kid, she's fine, and a lot of the criticisms of her come across really misogynistic to me.) This video from Alle of XOVain is a hoot to boot.

Fawn
You guys saw my horns in a previous post, so a deer seemed like a natural fit for me this year. I'm really excited to do this easy, pretty fawn makeup.



4 comments:

  1. What clever ideas! This is the kind of make-up I really love!! Next year, depending on time, I am thinking of a faerie-inspired collection and photo shoot, so the autumn fairy (and maybe the fawn) would come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be amazingly cool, I would love to see it if you do!

      Delete
  2. These are so inspiring awesome!!! I can do my daily face no problem, but I wouldn't say I have a deft hand when it comes to super glam/intricate or costume-y makeup looks, so any tips, pointers, help and like that I can pick up and tuck away for future use are always hugely appreciated.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fancy costume makeup never has as much of an impact as I would like it to when I do it. I'm definitely going to be referring back to some of these tutorials in the future.

      Delete