Friday, October 24, 2014

In The Mood

Fun fact - Glenn Miller grew up in my home town. Fort Morgan, Colorado might be the only place in the country where small children are still familiar with him. In the basement of the public library, there was a little museum dedicated to local history that had an exhibit for him, and there was a button you could push that would play a little bit of In The Mood.
What does this have to do with today's post? Nothing, really, except that I'm in the mood for Halloween (I know, I'm sorry. I'll show myself out). It's funny how it infects my style as it creeps closer and closer. You could argue that my style is always a little costume-y, but when Halloween roles around, I start to feel like I'm playing a different character every day. That, I think, is one of the best things about the season - no one bats an eye if you look like you might be on your way to a costume party, because you might actually be on your way to a costume party.
IMG_5212
It seems fitting that I included an autumn fairy makeup tutorial in my costume post yesterday, because this outfit definitely verges on the same thing. This is probably the second vintage dress that I ever purchased, and I still love the vibrant paisley print.
IMG_5213
This little motorcycle jacket from Modcloth is probably the best thing I ever bought from them. It's very old, and the zipper doesn't work very well anymore, but I feel like the combo of black leather and khaki fabric goes with everything.
IMG_5232
And this is definitely my Coco Chanel costume. I know, I know, I just said that I don't want to dress like a French girl, but... well, I guess I probably just don't want to be told to dress like a French girl.
IMG_5235
These high-waisted pants from Asos are my new favorite thing. They are ridiculously comfy, and while the length means that I have to wear them with my highest heels, that's not necessarily a bad thing.
IMG_5243
They're pretty dramatic looking, but they don't feel dramatic. They feel like pajamas. I think these are going to be my traveling pants from now on.
IMG_5260
Brian's getting in on it too. He's got this whole "impoverished dock worker" thing going on. It's pretty hot.

Do you guys take the month of October as license to dress to kill, or is Halloween a one night only thing for you?

8 comments:

  1. "Impoverished dock worker", LOL!!! And you look rather swit-swoo yourself lady in that Coco Chanel inspired look. I've been wearing a lot of black as Halloween approaches, and I have given in to tights, as bare legs are simply not possible in the unrelenting rain we've had here recently. P x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that paisley dress! Such awesome colours :)

    The Coco Chanel look is great. When I saw it on instagram I though "Geez you look tall" and now I know why!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Coco Chanel look - very classy. And seems you've taken a leaf out of my book with the couple shot - and darn it I think you've outdone us! You both look Fab. I'd quite like to see everyone do a couple shot now! CC x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, you guys are super cute! But I agree, it think it would be fun to see all the vintage ladies with their significant others.

      Delete
  4. Hey there.
    You may know me from Fedora Lounge (Stray Cat) :)

    When it comes to dressing up, I don't think there's any more "costuming" nowadays. We all are doing it, in a way. How should I put this: when we (office staff) go tho work, we put our work attire. And, it's not much different. Darn, I know folks who dread their outfits, and feel as they're suffocating in a "skirt and blazer".
    So, on your time off.. do what pleases you.
    I like to say "If you feel like wearing a ballerina skirt all the time - do it proudly".
    Every day of the year? Sure. Thumbs up.

    Oh.. and feel free to make a pit-stop by my little blog.
    I'm at http://ruzicastapinkidusica.blogspot.com/

    Marija (Stray Cat)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Massively so - not, mind you, that I don't follow my sartorial whims pretty much any time throughout the rest of the year, but I completely agree that there's just something about the month of Halloween that makes you feel like you can wear anything your heart desires no matter how OTT.

    Awesome ensembles. I especially love those black wide leg trousers. Classic, gamine, and oh-so-chic!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete