Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Fashion Under $50: Vintage Appropriated

Even though I've moved well past the stage where "back to school" season involves anything related to school, I still love all of the fashion that comes with it. Like I said not that long ago, fall is my favorite season, so I love see all of the plaids and teeth of hounds and nubby knits roll into the stores. And as I've also mentioned on more than one occasion, I'm a mighty cheap bastard, and I like to slake my lust for all things autumnal for as little cash as possible.
Like most of you (I assume), it's not really workable for me to have an entirely vintage wardrobe, although I would dearly love to. However, this season there are a fair number of vintage appropriate styles floating around out there in fast fashion, giving me a cheap and easy way to dip my toe into trends that I might not otherwise be able to try, or flesh out some of those basics that I don't like to spend a lot of money on, and can be hard to find in the vintage market.

Pants
Pants aren't really a trend, I guess, but really never wear them these days. I've got a couple of pairs of my boyfriend's jeans, but I really want a pair of slightly masculine trousers that I can rock for a masculine meets feminine aesthetic.
00083660-02
f21 Heathered Suspender Trousers, $22.90
I like the high waist, relaxed fit, and suspender details on these trousers.
00103475-04
f21 Pleated Wide-Leg Pants, $24.80
There's a serious Katherine Hepburn vibe to these wide legged pants, which also come in black and white.
00063287-01
f21 Classic Plaid Pants, $19.80
I'm suspicious of pants that look too much like leggings, but the classic plaid and rolled cuff might work well as the updated bottom half of a suit.
7771061064_2_1_1
Zara Wide-Leg Trousers with Small Dots, $59.90
Ok, so these are slightly over the $50 mark, but the casual draping on this just screams luxury to me. I would rock these with a pair of 40s style platforms and a crisp button down.

Capes
A cape is one of those things that I love and really, really want, but am not sure that I'd wear that often in real life. Actually, now that I think about it, I do own a cape, but since it's fur it's not really an all the time thing.
asoscape
ASOS Plain Cape, $42.56
This one is more on the blanket end of the cape spectrum, but I could see it working well if you're going for a gypsy, boho kind of vibe.
00119185-02
f21 Classic Cape Blazer, $32.80
Forever21, what are you doing to me? This cape blazer combo is great in a very Old Hollywood meets New Hollywood kind of way.
cape
H&M Cape in Textured Woven Fabric, $34.95
If I actually get a cape, it would probably be this one. I like how they've styled it with a blouse with long, tight fitting sleeves, but I could also see this working really well with my early 60s (or 60s inspired) pieces.

Blouses
You can't really go wrong with a basic, collared blouse, especially if it has some interesting detailing. They're great for wearing with skirts and pants, obviously, but they can also be worn over or under a dress to lend it versatility.  
55879746-02
f21 Peter Pan Collar Blouse, $17.80
The peter pan collar gives this is a nice vintage feel, and the rust color makes it perfect for fall.
jaquardweaveblouse
H&M Jaquard Weave Blouse, $29.95
A sleeveless, bow neck blouse works well layered under a cardigan or a v-neck sweater.
lycellblendsweater
H&M Lyocell-Blend Top, $24.95
Light-weight knits are great in any season, and the bow neck and slightly puffed sleeves make this sweater feel a little special. It also comes in mustard, one of my favorite colors.
7669121251_1_1_1
Zara Blouse with Back Buttons, $49.90
So, real talk - I just got a button back blouse, and I'm not sure where I stand on them. On the one hand, no awkward button gaping, which seems to happen to me no matter how well the shirt fits. On the other hand, not being able to get dressed by yourself is, um, inconvenient, to say the least. Still, this airy, peter pan collared blouse was too pretty not to include on this list.
7733557051_1_1_1
Zara Leopard Shirt with Contrasting Collar, $59.90
It's always the Zara stuff that makes me want to go just a liiiiiiittle bit over budget. Can't you just see this with a high waisted black pencil skirt and a pair of killer black pumps?

5217206808_1_1_1
Zara Geometric Earrings
And I just couldn't resist posting these pretty, deco-inspired earrings from Zara, which are only $20.

8 comments:

  1. thanks for you lovely comments!

    oh, i recently sold two pin dotted pairs of zara pants on the flea market (pretty similar to the ones on the picture). they look always so great on the models but pants like this are never high waisted enough for me! ... on the flea market you would have got them both for under 50 bucks! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really hoping to get a lot of my fall wardrobe from thrifting, rather than shelling out the money for even fast fashion stores. Who knows, maybe I'll even find some Zara... ;)

      Delete
  2. I have a cape (well, I have a few, but only one that isn't costume-y) and although I have to feel a little bold to wear it, it always makes me feel elegant and special. And mine is wool and sooooooo lovely and warm. I highly recommend you get in on the cape action :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caaaaaaaapes. I love them so much. I might see if I can find a vintage one made of wool so that I can wear it into the winter, but if I can't I'll probably end up going for one of these guys.

      Delete
  3. Ah I want to try the cape style this fall. Its such a cute look. Im with you there, I wouldn't say its that Im cheap, ok maybe Im cheap, but Im just so used to thrift store prices. I think 50 dollars would be my limit on new items anyways, I hardly ever spend more then that unless Im really enamored with a piece so great list!
    Justine
    http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely planning on doing some thrifting this year. I'm usually pretty bad about taking the time, but my boyfriend found some amazing pieces for even more amazing prices at one by our place. The fast fashion places offer convenience, but I would definitely prefer thrifted or vintage pieces.

      Delete
  4. Awesome roundup! I'm especially smitten by the Forever 21 red blouse. It makes me yearn all the more for the days when I lived in a city with a F21. Once every season or so, I'd devote an afternoon or evening just to going their and embarking on a vintage appropriate garment (and accessory) treasure hunt amongst the uber trendy and uber teeny-bopper-y styles to unearth a fabulous 40s or 50s looking gem. F21 does have an online Canadian site you can shop from, and I've done so before, but the selection pales compared to in person and that "on a mission" feeling is sorely lacking, so it's just not the same. I'll just have to continue to keep my fingers crossed that F21 sets up shop (literally) in the Okanagan someday.

    Have a stellar weekend, dear gal!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's cute, right? That's the great thing about fast fashion places like forever21 - they tend to have something for everyone, so if you have to time to sort through it all, you can usually find something cute and vintagey for a great price. And it seems like they're expanding all the time, so you very well may end up with one close to you!

      Delete