Thursday, August 21, 2014

Links to Love

It's been a while since I've done one of these, hasn't it? Frankly, there are a lot of stories out there that I could be linking to right now, most of them just really depressing. Let's see... there's Ferguson, and the way white privilege and black disempowerment are coming to a head, not just in the South but everywhere in America. There's the rise of ISIS in the Middle East and the brutal beheading of journalist James Foley. There's the horrendous assault against Christy Mack by her ex-boyfriend, an MMA fighter, and the equally horrendous response on social media because she's a sex worker.
It's easy to start feeling angry and depressed with all of terrible things going on in the world, and to be honest, I don't want to talk about them (at least, not any more than I just have). So this week, I've got some frivolous and fun stuff to take my mind off of the gloom.
1. The Secret History of "Flashdance"
flashdance52
The movie Flashdance is one of those pop culture touchstones you don't have to have actually seen to be familiar with. It made millions of dollars and resonated with millions of people, but what most of those people don't know is that it's actually based on the lives and images of real dancers who worked in Toronto in the 70s and 80s. Unfortunately, they were taken advantage of by unscrupulous people in the movie business, and have made virtually nothing off of the use of their stories and images. The real stories of Gina Healey and Maureen Marder are fascinating, although they never got their own Hollywood endings.
2. Sleep Hack - Keep Your Feet Outside Your Covers
retro_bdrm
Photo unrelated to article. I just want my bedroom to look like that.
I'm kind of scared of the dark. I mean, not really anymore, but sometimes I still get creeped out. Up until recently I had this thing where my feet had to be covered by the blanket, because it they weren't I would get this feeling like something was going to reach out and grab them. When I moved, though, I left my bed frame behind (on purpose, it was really shitty), and now that my mattress is right on the floor that fear has gone away. But anyway, what I mean to say is that this trick actually works! I've been doing this ever since I read about it last week, and I'm finding I fall asleep much faster than normal.
3. Before Elvis There Was Nothing - Black and White Photos of Elvis in the 50s
Elvis Presley in the 1950s (4)
I sometimes forget that before Elvis was a chubby, sweaty guy in a rhinestone jumpsuit, he was super hot. Thank you for reminding me.
And hey, spend some time exploring the website these are from. Vintag.es always has fantastic vintage photographs of everything from fashion to high culture to daily life. I try to check the site daily because the updates are so frequent. Definitely one to bookmark.
4. Escape is the unlikely link between The Shawshank Redemption and Natural Born Killers
still-of-morgan-freeman-and-tim-robbins-in-the-shawshank-redemption-1994-large-picture
natural-born-killers-511761b53aa56
I'm all about the double feature, and I might actually have to do this one. I would also quite like to do the one that they mentioned in passing as a joke - The Lion King and The Professional.
5.Why does asparagus make our urine smell?
roasted_asparagus_2-scaled1000
Truly one of the great mysteries of our times.
6. Could the cravat make a comeback?
cravat
Man, I really hope so. That would be so sweet.

9 comments:

  1. As a child, I often stuck one leg outside of the blankets, and I thought it was weird! Maybe I was super-clever instead. (Actually, one of the first photos of me at all has me sticking one leg out of the baby basket, and there were no blankets, so it could be unrelated!)

    You are so right about Elvis too. Throwing him in a crisp uniform doesn't hurt either! That really is a great site too, I hadn't seen it before. Lots of awesome photos. Thanks for that :)

    Lastly, I vote in favour of cravats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cute, you should post the photo! :P

      Delete
    2. You are always trying to get me to post strange old pictures of myself! I'll have to put some on instragram just for you :P

      Further to the cravat issue, I just read this: http://eclecticephemera.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/nicholas-parsons-starts-one-man-crusade.html (Ok I didn't read it all, but I did look at all the pictures)

      Delete
    3. I'm a huge proponent of people posting strange old photos of themselves on the internet. If I had more, I would do it all the time. ;) Thanks for the link, that post was really interesting. She's trying to start #bringbackcravats, which I may have to get in on.

      Delete
  2. So sweet!!! Cravats are seriously long overdue for a comeback. Really, if we're being brutally honest, so are a lot of great men's fashions that very few chaps, save for some of the most style savvy out there, wear or have ever worn. Three piece suits, for example, and top hats (not necessarily together, or yah, maybe together actually - I wouldn't object to that ;D).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love a three piece suit, suspenders, a good hat, all that. I think a lot of the dressier men's styles are due for a comeback, I'm tired of seeing guys walk around in jeans and t-shirts all the time.

      Delete
  3. Haha I love these. I also extremely relate to the feet hanging over the bed thing cause like I totally thought something would grab my feet. Too many scary movies as a preteen. I now do find it comfortable to sleep with one foot out, maybe after countless years from nothing actually happening when I leave my feet out, shocking I know! I usually leave just one out so Ill have to try both ;)
    Justine
    http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't decide if it's the placebo effect or if it really helps, but I feel like I'm falling asleep so much faster with one foot poking out from under the covers. And if I do start to feel a little creeped out (it happens when I'm in the shower or bend over sink when I'm brushing my teeth; definitely too many horror movies *lol*) I just remind myself, like you said, that literally none of the weird things I'm scared about have ever happened, and they're not going to happen now either.

      Delete
  4. Corrections to the BuzzFeed article are in order...
    The storyline, script and dialogue, dance sequences and themes, love story, 'look' and mood of the film was written and inspired by Marder (me) and my life, shows, and choreography. I was hired by Hedley in the same capacity as I was hired by Armatage: to do research on their respective film projects. His was a screenplay about dancers, NOT about one construction-worker/dancer, but about generic dancers in general, or so he told me. My original magazine article about my life as a construction worker/welder wanting to enter a formal dance school was stolen, as well as all my concepts for dance shows, costumes, music, AND my styles of dance before my serious back injury too. All stolen from me, not from Gina.
    I worked for months with Hedley OFF CAMERA developing concepts for the dance sequences in the film, so the work Myron Zabol did at his photo shoot was just a manifestation of all the previous development.
    My performance in the documentary ‘Striptease’ was only 1 year after TWO back surgeries, and was NOT representative of my dance styles previous to my spinal injury. I did a ‘traditional’ burlesque-type show for the fim, but that doesn’t mean I didn’t do other types of shows and other types of dance. I did it all, before the back injury, like a genuine showgirl can do: Cancan, ska, rock, punk, jazz, burlesque, latin, ballroom, and interpretive – just no ballet or breakdancing. And NO formal dance training either. Those red shoes sported by Alex in the film? My signature wear too: always had them on in between shows along with my raggedy-necked sweatshirt and sweatpants. And I always wore red and left the stage in a red Chinese robe, same as Alex in the film.
    The so-called lost opportunity to do an interview on camera in Armatage’s documentary that, according to Soraya who credits Armatage stating I ‘didn’t come across well on film’, so ‘she let [me] dance’? Armatage has conveniently forgotten that I refused to do any ‘talking head’ interview for the film ‘Striptease’as I felt my private life was not for public consumption. There was absolutely no question whether or not ‘Marder would be interviewed’ for the documentary ‘Striptease’, as I flatly refused to do so.
    I knew that Gina was promised a bit part in the film, or something, so despite her ‘party-girl’ mentality and her voluntary sexcapades with various players in it, she was young and poor also and I felt sorry for her and wanted to help her. Although she hated me, I believed that the ‘girls’ should stick together, so I brought her to see the lawyer who had been recommended to me as an entertainment lawyer. If Gina has misplaced or lost her release in all her ‘high’ travels, it is not because she never had one. Nor is it attractive for her to insinuate that I tried to compel her to sign. We were both told that the film was never going to be made, and this was the only chance we’d ever get to be compensated in any way. I reluctantly signed at the US Embassy in Toronto in December 1982 after making appropriate changes to my release in order to protect my copyright – or so I thought. I was NOT in attendance when Gina signed hers, nor did I telephone her to come and sign. I phoned her only once, to invite her to come and discuss her abuse by these men with a lawyer who might be able to help both of us.
    The truth of my story was neatly smokescreened, by ‘bundling’ Gina as part of a nuisance suit. I was NEVER told that the main character was a construction worker/welder-dancer, and was NEVER given any opportunity to read any scripts. I was led to believe that the film was a generic one about dancers in general: no identifying details about me in it. The release reflects this secret in that no mention is made of welding or construction, only dancing. Had it, I would NEVER have signed.
    Anyway, I’ve got cancer, so I’m speaking out. What can they take from me that they haven’t already taken?
    Maureen Marder
    P.S. I never rode in limousines during my dancing days; only used my bicycle. nacred@sympatico.ca

    ReplyDelete