Monday, August 25, 2014

My new normcore hair and my totally awesome weekend

I go to a professional for major color changes - going from black to blonde, for instance - but most of the time I do my hair myself. Usually it works out pretty well. I've been coloring my hair for many years now, so I generally understand what my hair's going to do and how to deal with it.
My hair was in desperate need of a touchup, and I was interested in going a little bit darker for the fall. I was shooting for a medium to dark golden blonde, and the dye that I picked up looked like it should have been exactly that. When I got it on my head, it looked darker than I expected, but that's not that uncommon; when I was dying my hair a very silvery blonde a few years back, for example, the dye was a deep violet color.
So I was a little surprised when I washed everything out, and my hair had turned out to be this color.
IMG_20140823_201621
I like it, but I'm not quite sure what I think of it. On the one hand, it's pretty close to my natural color (just lacking in the red tone that my hair has) (at least, I think so, anyway. It's been a really long time since I've seen my natural color), so it should be much lower maintenance than the more drastic colors that I usually go for, like a light blonde or black. I do think it's kind of pretty, and it definitely has more dimension than the single process blonde that I had before. And, ok, my hair looks way softer and healthier.
I don't think I have ever had hair that's just brown before, though. Not that there's anything wrong with having brown hair, but given what I'm used to, I guess it just seems slightly... boring? No, I shouldn't say that. It's not like I look at other brunettes out think that their hair is boring, I promise. It's flattering and pretty, but it's not as dramatic as the colors that I usually gravitate towards, and that's going to take some getting used to.
IMG_20140824_174158
I don't think I've ever posted a full photo of this Trashy Diva set, but it's one of my favorite things.
But enough about my hair. I actually had a pretty eventful weekend, at least for me. On Saturday I met up with some friends for Chicago's Slutwalk, which is an annual event to combat rape, harassment, and violence against women. The event came about after a police officer in Canada told a group of college women that if they don't want to get raped, they "shouldn't dress like sluts." The idea that a woman is "asking for it" or is responsible for being raped because she is dressed a certain way is absolutely sickening. Rape and street harassment aren't about sex, they're about power, the power that men feel like they have over women's bodies and actions. Slutwalk sends a powerful message that even a provocatively dressed woman still has rights, and that clothing cannot give consent. You can check Facebook for your local event if you would like to get involved.
When I was riding my bike to meet up with my boyfriend afterwards, the sky opened up and absolutely drenched me. I have a feeling it's going to be a very wet fall, which is kind of depressing. Rainy springs are great, but rainy autumns are just kind of miserable. Wet leaves don't crunch under your feet very well.
On Sunday, I got to see Robyn and Röyksopp at Millennium Park. Although I'm not all that familiar with either act, I like what I've heard from both of them, and they put on an amazing show. The friend that I was going to go with couldn't come because she sprained her ankle, but she gave her ticket to my boyfriend, so I got to go with him instead. They put on an amazing show, and I had a great time. I've got some videos up on my Facebook page if you want to check them out.
So what did you guys get up to this weekend?

10 comments:

  1. I think this hair color is really pretty on you! And I also have this Trashy Diva two-piece -- I have yet to wear it because it's not as flattering in the back as I had hoped, but I'm so in love with it, and it looks great on you!

    xox Sammi
    www.thesoubrettebrunette.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely not an outfit to drink a lot of beer in. Everything fits really perfectly, but it becomes a little bit of a problem with you get all bloated from too much liquor. It's such a cute print, though, I hope you find a way to wear it that you love.

      Delete
  2. Your hair looks healthy and charming. It will only be boring if you let it be and with your sense of style, I don't think that is possible. The Slut Walk is such a great event for raising public awareness, glad you got to participate.

    Knitting in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! I've been reminding myself that it's all about how I feel about it, and it's nice to hear that from other people as well.

      Delete
  3. Having "met" you with blond hair, it seems strange to me, but I like it. It does look healthy and lovely this colour. I'm sure you'll adjust to it quickly, and have fun finding colours to wear that work better with this hair than they did with blond. I actually really like having brown hair, I just don't like the particular brown that my hair naturally is! So I usually dye it a better version of brown :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny how just a little tweak can make things feel more "you," isn't it? I would always dye my hair a brighter shade of red before I started experimenting with other colors, and I feel like blonds are always lightening their hair a little bit.

      Delete
  4. Chuckle, chuckle, chuckle - "normcore hair" :D I think your locks are far from normcore. They're beautiful, chic, and such a becoming length + colour. I've tried and tried to pull off golden-y blonde/light brown over the years, but no real dice yet. This is a bit odd, when you stop and consider that I was pale blonde in my youth. Oh well, at least I can rock the ginger side of the hair spectrum and I shalln't be giving up on golden blonde anytime soon. There must be one shade out there that works for my colouring.

    Have a fabulous end of August, lovely lady!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you would kill with strawberry blonde hair, like the rose gold color that was kind of trendy for a while. You're deep red hair is so smashing on you, though, I almost don't want to see you change!

      Delete
  5. When your picture popped up in my blog feed I didn't realise who it was at first - but in a good way. I really like the new 'do! And not just because I'm a brunette and biased, I think it's super soft, feminine and pretty on you. And it's all about what you wear, anyway... and if it's this cute little Trashy Diva combo, what could be wrong? Slutwalk sounds like a great event - and for a cause I wholeheartedly agree with - so, go you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my second year doing Slutwalk, and it's always a blast. Before the march there are always speeches from different women's organizations, it's a great way to discover groups you might want to support. I know there were a couple this year that I'd like to volunteer for.
      It's funny, I think my hair is about the same color as yours now. Uh-oh, Single White Female alert... :P

      Delete