Friday, August 1, 2014

Blue on Blue

Yesterday I got a bug up my butt that I really needed blue lipstick. I'm not sure where the desire came from (I'm tempted to blame Micheline Pitt, or maybe just all of the beauty bloggers who've been road testing blue lips lately), but it was overwhelming, undeniable. And also it was payday, and I wanted to buy something, and I've already got pretty much all of the normal colors of lipstick, so... *shrug*
I know I probably could have bought a blue eyeliner and called it a day, but my lips are rather dry and chapped most of the time, so I didn't think that would be my best bet. I really wanted some of the Macaron Lippies from NYX, but when I was still empty handed after running to three different stores on my lunch break, I popped into Sephora to see if they had anything blue.
IMG_20140731_131516
I've heard really good things about Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics' Lip Tar, and the vibrant blue shade in this pack was just screaming my name. Although I didn't strictly need the red that came with it, you can't really have too many red lipsticks, can you?
I put the red on after lunch, and I actually really like it. It's a very vibrant, cool-toned true red, and it blots down to a bright rose stain. I didn't get any good pictures of it, but I'm sure you'll see me wearing it regularly in the future.
But oh, this blue. It's so perfect. It's rich and deep and bright, but not too bright. Not gonna lie, I look a little dead wearing it, but I'm weirdly ok with that.
IMG_3312
Being so nonchalant.
IMG_3286
sexyface
IMG_3299
bemusedface    
The texture of the product was not quite what I was expecting. For something called Lip Tar, it's surprisingly liquid, and it spreads very easily. In addition to the two colors, which you can blend to create a purple shade, the pack comes with primer, which I highly recommend using, and a lip brush, which you really do need to apply the product unless you want to walk around with blue (or red, or purple) finger tips for the rest of the day.
And the bonus to having a blue lipstick is that it's opened up an entire world of punny post titles for me. I considered Living Dead Girl, I'm Blue (daba de daba DIE!), Blue Velvet, I Got the Blues, and a couple more, but considering that my lips matched my shirt, I thought a little Royksopp reference was in order.
Anyone else loving all the fun, weird lip colors that are popping up these days? OCC has some beautiful colors, but those NYX lipsticks are also really awesome, and I've heard great things about Limecrime's products.

No comments:

Post a Comment