Monday, August 4, 2014

Meet Roy G. Biv

I mentioned last week that I'm trying to shift my focus away from buying clothes, which I have a lot of, to using accessories to add more punch and polish to my outfits. It's an exercise that I'm really enjoying so far, and I think my challenge to myself to add at least one standout accessory to every outfit has been pretty successful.
IMG_20140802_122444_907
I went shopping at Vintage Underground, my favorite store in Chicago, on Saturday. I was so close to buying this hat, but ultimately decided it's just too expensive. That said, if it's there after my next pay day, I think it's coming home with me.
IMG_3322
Instead I got this one, which is covered in seashells and has a felt mermaid on the front. Cuz I'm cool like that.
IMG_3329
This is my Funny Face pose. Not that I look anything like Audrey Hepburn.
IMG_3358
I absolutely love the print on this dress, and I was so delighted on Saturday to find the blue scarf I'm wearing for only $3, also at Vintage Underground. This dress could have used a belt, although I skipped it because it was pretty hot out.20140803_114542
Is it tooting my own horn too hard to say that I felt like my makeup was super on point?
One thing that I've noticed about this challenge that it's making me think about my clothes in a different way. Rather than just putting on a nice dress and calling it a day, I'm paying more attention to the details. If it's a print, what is the least dominant color? It might be a good one to pick up in the accessories. What's the neckline like? Is it best set off by a necklace, a brooch, maybe a scarf? Am I wearing a hat, or do I want to do something fancy with my hair? Admittedly, it's become a bit of a process, but it's a fun one, hindered only by the fact that I don't really have much in the way of colorful accessories.
So, of course, that means that I'm on the hunt for a rainbow of accessories.
Red
32G18GRED_large
Topshop Red Patent Heels
I love the chunky heel and patent finish on this pair shoes. There's something a bit schoolgirl about them, and I would love to pair them with mustard yellow tights once we're in the cooler months.
redsuedecourt
London Rebel Red Suede Court
For something a little more grownup and ladylike, these sleek suede pumps would look great for day or evening.
il_570xN.574049370_sye5 - Copy - Copy
Soco Designs Wide Elastic Belt in Red
This Etsy shop sells these wide elastic belts in a wide assortment of colors. This style of belt is a classic way to cinch your waist and show off your curves.
il_fullxfull.576337860_bmqv
1950s Wooden Box Bag
This would be way too small for my day to day life, but this beautiful wooden purse from Where the Wind Vintage is a real stunner.
Orange
ZSEY122_MAIN_LG

Seychelles Late Night Suede Wedges
These wedges from Seychelles also come in teal, black, and a gold or black glitter style, and several of the colors are on a pretty steep discount right now. The style is very 40s (or maybe 40s meets 70s, if we're talking about the glitter version), and paired with chunky knit socks or tights, you could wear them well into fall.
il_fullxfull.560860221_t85y - Copy
Tangerine Nylon Scarf from That Retro Shop
I do love these sheer nylon scarves, which can be used in several different ways. This soft orange color seems so unusual to me, and at $8 it's also a bit of a steal.
il_570xN.617348492_rdmt
Vintage Pumpkin Orange Beaded Hat
Another steal at only $18, this vivid orange beaded hat from Tess Ronae Vintage, which is probably 30s or 40s, would be perfect for setting off an autumn ensemble.
Yellow
il_fullxfull.619392634_j8v3 - Copy
Mustard Yellow Faux Alligator Frame Bag
I have to have a book on me at all times, so I don't usually do vintage purses, which are often to small to accommodate them. However, I might make an exception for this lovely frame bag. I love the vibrant but soft shade of mustard yellow, and the faux alligator texture really makes it sing.
image1xxl - Copy
Asos Sunkissed Wooden Heels
If, like me, you're either too poor or too broke to spring for Swedish Hasbeens, these Norwegian Wannabes might be a good option.
617HDPQqmFL._UL1500_
Yellow Elastic Belt with Ornate Buckle
The kind of fancy buckle on this elastic belt gives it some extra interest, and would be great with a solid color dress. It's also $6, with free shipping, so there's that.
Green
il_fullxfull.577645958_6gai
Kelly Green Patent Leather Purse
There's a woman who works in my building who has a patent leather, kelly green purse, and from the second I saw it I knew that I wanted one for myself. If someone else doesn't do it, I might have to snap this little guy up. Only $25 from Red Jacket Vintage.
il_570xN.627195559_8yya - Copy - Copy
1960s Bow Hat
I love this 60s topper, which is kind of a cross between a cocktail hat and an overly ambitious headband. On sale at The Vintage Hat Shop.
Blue (and Indigo, because let's be honest, indigo is really just blue)
2429bfada3dfbc5da8af3c28cf16b681
Dynamic Debut Heels in Navy
These gorgeous t-strap heels, very 20s or 30s, make me want to practice my ballroom dancing with my boyfriend.
00059660-02
Vintage Inspired Square Sunglasses
Forever21 actually has some weirdly great, vintage inspired sunglasses in stock right now. I really like the bold shape and soft pastel shade of this pair.
fauxostrichbelt - Copy - Copy
Faux Ostrich Waist Belt
I have this belt in white, but I'm really tempted by the vibrant blue version as well.
il_fullxfull.499709182_5013
Midnight Blue Pillbox Hat with Veil
Looking to add a little mystery to your life? This gorgeous, deep navy pillbox hat from Kanari Kouture would be amazing with a slinky cocktail dress.
Violet
purple driving gloves
Purple Leather Driving Gloves
Wouldn't these gloves be a fabulous flash of color with a black or gray winter coat?
il_fullxfull.632899479_rfwn - Copy
50s or 60s Feathered Hat
Not only is is purple, it's purple feathers. What more could you ask for?

Of course there is an entire universe of color to pick from (I didn't even get to talk about pink! I fucking love pink!), but I'm definitely in a mood to bust out of my neutral accessories rut. I mean, really, how many black and brown shoes does one girl need? Ok, probably at least a few, but throwing some color into the mix never hurt anything.

12 comments:

  1. Your make up is really on point - you look great! And yep it's definitely all about the accessories, I wish I had enough money to have accessories in all the colours I love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you! I also wish that I had enough money to get all this stuff, I'd be totally decked out.

      Delete
  2. Your make up looks wonderful! I wish I could master eye liner... I continue to wear it everyday with hopes that nobody notices how uneven it truly is. I just love it!

    I'm trying to do the accessory thing too. So far, I've found two of my dream hats in the process. It's amazing what an accessory can do for an outfit!

    You are beautiful and I love how whimsical your outfits are!
    amy flying a kite

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love hats, I definitely want to expand my collection. And eyeliner really isn't too hard - sometimes I steady my arm on the counter top to get a good line.

      Delete
  3. I feel like blogging generally is dragging me into thinking more about colours and accessories... I'm awful with handbags though, in particular. I carry so much stuff around all the time those dainty little vintage handbags just don't work for me - unless my boyfriend happens to be carrying a more substantial bag I can put all my things into. He just loves that. But that little mustard yellow one... so pretty. Mustard yellow is great to accessorise with, goes with so much! I think I'd get some satisfaction out of finding things that exactly match shades of my existing clothes - I think you're onto something there... love that head scarf touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love seeing girls carry beautiful vintage bags, but I'm in the same boat you are - I have to have something that will actually hold all my crap. I've been looking at bigger cloth bags with wooden frames, which I think were originally meant as sewing bags or something, although I haven't yet seen one that I really have to have.

      Delete
  4. I've been trying to do the same thing! Definitely focusing more on accessories--it's been fun. I love those Forever21 sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they cute? I just ran in there today to see if I could find them, but they didn't have any that I liked. I might have to go to a different one, or just order them online.

      Delete
  5. What an awesome post, dear gal - thank you very much for devoting the time to put it together (I know how long bigger posts like this usually take, believe me!). It speaks to my colour loving heart and soul something fierce!!!

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* I come baring fabulous news!!! Your comment, #18, was the randomly selected winner of the $50.00 Best Vintage Clothing gift certificate giveaway. Please zip an email your way anytime and I'll pass your details along to Miss Kitty, as the site's owner goes by, there to let her know you won.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won something? Yay! I'm so excited. And of course very happy to have blog material, since I'm going to need opinions about what I should buy.

      Delete
  6. I'm really enjoying your accessories explorations! Super fun. That orange hat is a steal and I can imagine it suiting you very well. Get that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might, it's lovely. It would go really well with my winter coats too, I think.

      Delete