Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Life Magazine and Lauren Bacall

My darling boyfriend went camping in Colorado a couple of weeks back, and when he came back he brought me a little present.
IMG_3647
A 1944 issue of Life Magazine with Lauren Bacall on the cover! It was just a few days before she died, so I'm feeling extra sentimental about it now.
IMG_3654
The caption for this photo reads "Lauren (born Betty) Bacall plays her first movie roll opposite Humphrey Bogart in To Have and Have Not. This new movie find is 5'61/2" tall, weighs 119 lbs., has blue-green eyes. Her naturally blonde hair is streaked from hours of sitting in the sun. Off the screen she is gangly and awkward. Lauren's next picture, in which she again plays opposite Humphrey Bogart, will be The Big Sleep. Lauren is unmarried."
I found this so funny. I mean, in modern magazines you might get a little blurb about the shooting process or makeup used or some photo credits in this same spot, but not a fairly long description of what the cover star looks like. I also find it funny that on screen she's described as "catlike" (see the photo below), but here she's called "gangly and awkward." Very interesting.
IMG_3664
IMG_3663
That dress is just killer. Weirdly on trend by today's standards too, with the cutouts.
IMG_3665
Sharing an onscreen kiss with Humphrey Bogart, the love of her life.
While Bogie and Bacall are now remembered as a classic Hollywood couple and an epic romance, it was a bit of a scandal back in the day. He was married, he was a drinker, and she was 25 years younger than she was. They had a brief affair and exchanged some really passionate love letters before he attempted to reconcile with his wife, Mayo, who was nicknamed "Sluggy" and had a temperament to match. However, that was short lived before they divorced, and just a few months later Bogart and Bacall were married.
The entire magazine was really a treasure trove. It's kind of stunning how all-encompassing the war really was. Scarcely a page goes buy without someone exhorting you to "Buy More War Bonds!", even literally telling you to "Buy More Than You Think You Can Afford." A lot of ads also talk about rationing, shortages, and the lives of the young men and women on the front lines.
IMG_3674
IMG_3666
IMG_3660
This one is all about how changes in the lives of the members of this family due to the war efforts have actually made things better for them.
IMG_3659
I thought this Bird's Eye ad was pretty funny - it's basically saying "look, don't get mad at us because you can't get the tuna you're looking for. There's a war on!"
IMG_3651
I would looooove a pair of Gaytees overshoes, but now I feel like I don't deserve them.
IMG_3648
And the ladies be getting all swoony over the soldier boys.
IMG_3658
See? Swoon. And now I want a Chesterfield.
IMG_3667
Actually, scratch that, I'll be an Old Gold girl if it means I get her outfit.
IMG_3661
Speaking of cuties, isn't this illustration for a Barbasol ad great? I love that classic pinup pose.
IMG_3650
This ad isn't that interesting, but I loved it because I actually have a dress with a label that says "Sanforized". It's just kind of cool to see something that ties my vintage wardrobe into the time period in which it was produced.
IMG_3672
Got to love all these beautiful ladies, but I'm going to stick with calling this style of necklace a choker. Although now that I think about it, it's not really any less kinky than "dog collar."
IMG_3673
This little article about the "Evolution of Overalls" is also really on point for today's fashions. I just saw a pair from the repro brand Nudeedudee that are a dead ringer for pair number two.
Of course, some things have changed in the 70 years since this magazine came out.
IMG_3662
This article about using tough, lean beef to save money is kind of funny in modern context, when grass fed (as opposed to corn fed) beef can easily be twice as expensive.
IMG_3676

I also got a kick out of this ad from Listerine, recommending it as a treatment for "INFECTIOUS DANDRUFF!" Of course, dandruff isn't actually infectious, and when I first read this I assumed that it was one of those silly things that they made up to boost sales, but there are some people who swear by it to cure the kind of dandruff you get from a mild yeast infection on your scalp, rather than that more common kind of you get when your scalp is dry.
IMG_3671
Also, shoes. Shoes are great. I would like these ones for this price, please.

5 comments:

  1. Ah, I'm still so sad she's gone. Sigh. Love these pictures - the ads are just great. Always love looking at old adverts, it's such a good insight into the fashions. I will also take the shoes in the top of the last one - yes please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a splendidly thoughtful present (your guy really knows your tastes - major Brownie points for him there! :)). Interestingly - and almost chilling - I too added something with Lauren's beautiful face to my collection just a couple of days before she passed: a coffee table book of vintage Hollywood wedding photos that has her, on her wedding day, on the cover. I must say, when I heard she passed (seriously bummed about that!), a shiver ran up my spine!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an amazing post. I love the attention to photos in this post because it helped me feel like I really got to read the magazine and thank you for that because I actually have no vintage magazines and it is such a time warp to see the ads and articles. I want those shoes also. Where is my time machine when I need it. I sadly am not a Lauren Bacall buff but I know she was a classic and a graceful beauty, it is sad to hear of her passing.
    Justine
    http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing! i love old magazines!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely gift. Lauren Bacall is one of my favourite classic movie stars, and I was sad to hear of her death too. It's nice to see these images and words from her early career. I love that they devoted so much magazine space to a new actress. Thanks for sharing all these great snippets from the magazine - old ads in particular are always so entertaining!

    ReplyDelete