Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Accessories - to murder!

*No vintage accessories were harmed in the making of this post*
On Friday I posted about a dress that I wasn't sure worked for me, since I felt a little bit frumpy in it. The advice, pretty much overwhelmingly, was "did you consider maybe accessorizing it a little bit?"
Honestly, I am the worst when it comes to accessories. It's not that I don't like them or don't have them, it's just that most of the time I forget about them. You know that old rule about removing one piece of jewelry before you leave the house? If I did that I'd just walk around with one earring all the time.
For the past couple of days, I've been reversing that rule for myself. Before I leave the house, I have to put on one piece of jewelry that's visible from more than 10 feet away.
On Sunday, I added a vintage bolero that was a dead on match for color to my Heart of Haute sweetie dress, along with a flower brooch from Chronically Vintage and a red floral scarf for my hair.
IMG_3207
The wind gave me a pretty perfect Marilyn Monroe moment.
IMG_3180
Are you every really fully accessorized without a book? I added a watch necklace that I inherited from my grandmother and another headscarf as well.
IMG_3254
IMG_3243
Trying to get Neighbordog to come and pose for a picture. Of course this is the one time she completely ignores me.
I've been picking up a lot of new clothing lately (don't judge, it's sale season), and since my wardrobe is full to bursting with cute summer dresses and skirts, I decided that I'm done buying clothes until fall. Of course, I also know me, and the temptation to get new things is hard to resist. So while I'm easing up a little bit on the new clothes, why not think a little bit about picking up some accessories to perk up my wardrobe a little bit?
I've got quite a few silk and cotton scarves, but I would love to get a few of those sheer nylon scarves as well. They just seem like such a great finishing touch to a lot of vintage hairstyles, and you can find them quite cheap in a lot of places, it seems.
Brooches are also very high on my list of pieces to find, since I will actually wear them for a full day. As much as I would love to be the woman with the armful of bangles, most bracelets drive me absolutely crazy. I'm still very tempted by them, though, so maybe I'll pick up a couple and see how it goes.
Obviously I'm still just taking baby steps when it comes to this, but it's funny how much just a little something in your hair and a piece of jewelry can liven up an outfit. I'm actually really excited to find some fun accessories that add punch and pizzazz to the clothes that I've already got in my wardrobe.

9 comments:

  1. Love this idea about the watch. So very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah bracelets can drive me nuts too. Is it bad that Ive never heard the take one piece of jewelry off. I put a lot of consideration into accessories and never over do it that much anyways to have to take something off. Like you said Id be removing one of my earrings. I really stick to the am I wearing a necklace ok so maybe no earrings or just simple studs? Do I have long dangly or statement earrings ok that is pretty much it for my standout accessory. I don't know its a rule I set for myself but It seems to work. But I think you styled these outfits perfectly. And Im kinda in love with how perfectly Marilyn that moment was!
    Justine
    http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That rule might be an 80s thing, to keep from looking too over-accessorized. I agree with you that one statement piece should be plenty, I like to keep things pretty simple.

      Delete
  3. i am the same way about jewelry! i love accessories, but i just forget about them lol. it's hard to get in the habit of wearing jewelry, and I'm always hesitant to wear my favorite pieces because i don't want to lose them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks gorgeous, I love the vintage inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am exactly the same way about accessories - absolutely dreadful. Earrings and that's it. And ok, I have a few holes in my ears, but it's not like I even ever change the earrings either! It's a good idea to set a goal to make yourself accessorise... I feel a 2015 new year's resolution coming on... why so far away? Because first I have to buy the darn things! And also, I'm still tackling this year's resolution to wear full skirts over pencil... Why do all of my resolutions result in spending money...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of my resolutions end up being pretty expensive too. Unless they're "don't spend so much money," which usually means that I spend the same amount of money that I always do. :P

      Delete
  6. Despite being one of the people who suggested accessories, I am also terrible about them. I wear some rings and a bracelet pretty much every day, and that is generally it. I suppose it is just like the hair styling issue. Once you realise how easy and effective it is, and doesn't actually take as long as you think, it will be easier to do and start forming a habit.

    Your photos are a very convincing argument in favour of accessories! I adore the watch necklace. I used to wear a fob watch, and I got rid of it when I decided that wasn't my style any more (it was a new one, not vintage) but now I wish I still had it and could turn it into a necklace! I do have my grandfather's fob watch, but it's quite gigantic for that purpose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely trying to form the habit, but the hard part is that a lot of my jewelry is either kind of cheap and not all that cute, or very delicate and gets a bit lost, visually speaking, in some of my outfits. The watch is one of my favorite pieces, not just because of how it looks but the sentimental value. If you can find a good way to do it, you should definitely wear your grandfather's sometime, I'm sure that would be fun.

      Delete