Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Orchard Corset Review: Updated

I received my Orchard Corset waist cincher a little over a month ago. I already posted an initial review, and I just wanted to do a little update about the breaking in process and how I'm liking it so far.
For starters, I think it was probably a smart decision to go with the less expensive corset than the much pricier What Katie Did version that I was also considering, because I just don't wear it that often. In the first couple of weeks that I had it, I'd wear it for 1-3 hours a few nights a week, after work, to season it. Since then, I've worn it at home a handful of times, and under my clothes to work exactly twice.
Part of the issue is the weather. It's been fairly hot here, and not only do I want to wear the necessary extra layer between the corset and my skin, I don't want to deal with the sweat that will inevitably get into it anyway. I'm also wearing a lot of light weight, light colored cotton clothing, and unless I have it laced down all the way it tends to show.
IMG_2726
This is my *whomp whomp* face. Unless I have it laced closed, I get this distended rib effect around the top.
IMG_2728
It's more obvious if I'm not standing up straight.
It's less obvious with heavier fabric, though, so I could definitely see putting into heavier rotation once fall starts to come in. As an added bonus, that might help keep me from getting up to my "winter weight" when I start craving butternut squash mac and cheese.
IMG_2765
IMG_2767
No lipstick! I feel so naked without it, but I just could not be bothered.
 It's molded to my body pretty nicely, which I am pleased with. The waist cinches me in nice and tight, but the hips have stretched slightly to accommodate my curves. I haven't noticed any wear and tear yet, and the construction seems to be holding up well. I do wish that it came up slightly higher, though, because my skin sometimes gets pinched between the top of the corset and bottom of my bra. Of course, a longline bra would solve that issue just as well, and I've been thinking about picking one up.
If, as the weather cools down, I find myself reaching for it more often, I'll probably look into getting a custom corset. I would love something that comes down a bit lower on my hips, like this one.
1940s-Fashion-How-to-get-Christian-Diors-New-Look-3
Looking at measurements for OTR corsets, I don't know if I would be able to find something that would accommodate my shape.
th_500_375_1295366478_tumblr_lf86p2yeCk1qd45a7o1_500_large
And here's a bonus photo of Marilyn being laced into a corset. I think this is probably a promotional set photo from The Prince and the Showgirl.

9 comments:

  1. I love your honest review. I have considered using a corset but I also think I would never wear it if it were uncomfortable. I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comfort is pretty relative. It's one of those things that just seems so weird at first, but after you settle in for a little while, you kind of forget that you're wearing it.

      Delete
  2. I agree. Ive always seen corsets as restricting but have been intrigued about it myself, to get a bit of a more vintage figure for clothes and just for my own personal preference on style. I don't think I would ever want to go as extreme as the first vintage photo you posted but I do like that it can bring everything in, make your curves smoother. I agree with Ashley, love honest reviews. Otherwise whats the point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That first photo is so crazy. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be physically capable of a shape like that, much less want to do so, but I like the way that it comes down over the hips to shape them a bit as well. Doesn't look like it would be great for sitting in, though.

      Delete
  3. I'm terrified a corset would be too uncomfortable and they tend to be so pricey it's a bit of a risk to just take a punt on... But the older I get the more I think it's a good idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you'd like to test out the waters with something inexpensive, I really recommend the brand that I purchased from, Orchard Corset. Good customer service, nice quality, and very inexpensive.

      Delete
  4. I'm curious how many inches your waist has lessened with the corset on? I do have a What Katie Did corset but I've only tried it on a couple of times and noticed it is rather bulky. So, I think if I wore it more in a rotation than I'd notice a difference in my appearance. Hey, might be cool to see a before and after? I've thought about doing this as well. I'm also curious if the vintage counterparts are indeed superior to modern corsets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cancel beginning of last comment:) I see that you told of 4 inch difference in your last review. I didn't get anywhere near 4 inches of difference. This is great. I should try mine out again. It just seemed a bit bulky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a 24' corset, but the outside measurement is actually about 25' when it's laced down tight because of the busk. It is a big bulky, honestly, and I notice that I look wider with it on when I turn sideways, although it narrows me if you're looking at me straight on.
      There is a type of corset (WKD makes a version of it) that has what's called a spoon busk, so it comes in over the belly to give extra control. I don't know how it is for comfort, but it might help alleviate that sticky-outy-ness in the front that you get with some corsets.

      Delete