Thursday, July 17, 2014

I miss my hair

I have to be honest - I am not as into the pixie cut this time around.
It's not that it's not cute and sassy and fun, and it's great not having to spend much time doing it in the morning, but I'm just bored. I think I'd gotten used to having a few different options for what I could do with it. Up, down, straight, curly, big and teased or sleek. Now, it's pretty much the same thing every day. Oh, sure, I can curl it a little bit to add texture, and there's that baby beehive that I did the tutorial for, and I'm making progress with finger waves (which I should have a tutorial for next week, by the way), but most of the time it's just wash and go. On the plus side, I don't usually have really bad hair days anymore; on the negative side, I rarely feel like I'm having a particularly good hair day either.
I'm feeling weirdly excited about growing it out, though. Of course there will be awkward stages, but my hairstylist is pretty good at her job, and I trust her to keep me from getting too mullety or wonkus. I feel like people make too much of growing out short hair (myself included sometimes). As long as you keep trimming the back of the neck, it mostly just requires the patience not to chop it all off again just so that you have something resembling a style.
jean-seberg
Jean Seberg rocked this teased and curled bob after her own pixie cut, and I'm thinking it would look pretty sweet on me as well.
article-2396583-1B485897000005DC-487_634x785
Even better, Audrey rocked a very similar style with a center part.
Images-of-Audrey-Hepburn-audrey-hepburn-head-tilted
And a pearl headband. So pretty!

I'm getting a trim next week, which is such a relief. I'm getting into Florence Henderson territory with shaggy top and extra long neck, and the 70s is one decade that I'm not interested in revisiting.
Anyone else have haircut regrets? I'd love to see photos if you do...

9 comments:

  1. Awww I love your pixie cut! I'm sure it will be fun to style during your grow out stages though, I feel like shorter hair has more styling options :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you! Honestly, it's not that bad, and there's a definite attitude that goes along with it, but I'm looking forward to teasing and curling and all that jazz.

      Delete
  2. Haircut regret! Yes! Most of the time. I always want it short when it's long and long when it is short. And I have had some dangerous borderline mullets in my time too.

    At the moment it is a jaw-length bob, which looks fine when I straighten it...but I mostly can't be bothered. So I hate it most of the time. And I'm not having it coloured while I'm pregnant, so it looks even worse. At least it is motivating me to wear hats, to cover most of it up.

    I think my biggest problem is not spending time on styling. I could probably do a LOT with this length of hair if I bothered to learn how. I look forward to your input on finger waves! And I love that Audrey look with the pearl headband. Stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine are very lazy finger waves, I highly recommend them for people like me and you who don't have a ton of styling skills.

      Delete
    2. Excellent! What I need is a whole set of "very lazy _____" hairstyling tutorials!

      Delete
  3. The not being able to do much thing is what has put me off getting any kind of hair change for.. ooh... about 8 years now! I kinda envy you for your soon-to-be bob. If only there was a way to wear my hair down and short, but keep it long so I could style it up, I'd so be there! Bobs can be super flattering, but I just love an up do too much...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some sort of magic hair growing serum you could use to grow your hair overnight would be ideal.

      Delete
  4. I got a vintage middy months ago, and although it was definitely vintage and I got to do some very Marilyn Monroe hairstyles, I couldn't wait to grow it out. Everyone kept saying I'd never want long hair again after experiencing the ease of short hair, but I much prefer longer hair and styling options on me. I can't tell you how excited I was to do the first ponytail in forever. I'm in a bit of a weird phase lengthwise for me and it's not the most flattering it could be, but I know that if I wait it'll be worth it.
    You look very cute with a pixie, but I totally understand that no matter how good others say you look, if you're not thrilled with it, then it's time to grow it out.
    Here's a picture of me with very short for me hair. It's not that it looked particularly bad, it just wasn't me.
    http://betsysbaby.blogspot.com/2014/01/a-kind-of-marilyn-housewife.html?m=0

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about getting a middy, but I ended up opting for the pixie cut instead. I've heard such mixed things about it - it seems like it's an amazing cut if you can set it all the time, but not great on its own.
      That cut and set looks really fabulous on you, but I understand not feeling like it suits.

      Delete