Friday, July 18, 2014

Purple Rain

I actually didn't realize until just now, when I was putting this post together, that I'd worn purple three days in a row this week. It's not a color that I'm particularly into, but apparently I managed to grab just about every purple piece in my closet this week. Weird.
IMG_2796
I love this lilac gingham dress. It's really breezy and summery, and layered with this white cardigan, it was perfect for the slightly cooler weather earlier this week.
IMG_2775
I also really like the button detail down the front. I'm definitely going to have to iron it before the next wear, though - those wrinkles are driving me crazy in the photos.
IMG_2799
This skirt was actually free. I got it at a clothing swap a couple of months ago, and while it's great for the summer, I really can't wait to wear it with a chunky sweater this winter.
IMG_2834
"Look at my butt. Look at it!"
IMG_2962
"How about now? Are you looking at my butt now?"
Ok, so credit where credit is due, I totally cribbed this outfit from the delightful Pebbles Beaufort. She's a blue haired babe whose style I really admire - while a man's shirt over a wiggle dress might not be an entirely new invention, I would never have thought to do the Hawaiian print shirt without seeing it on her first.
IMG_2978
Full disclosure - I only put this lipstick on for the photos. A tight dress, bright, contrasting colors, and red lipstick would have felt like overkill for a Thursday.
There is something inherently silly to me about trying to take sexy photos of myself, particularly while precariously balancing my tripod on the stones around the fire pit in my back yard (it's one of those mini guys, so it's not tall enough to just put it on the ground) while Neighbordog looks on in amusement.
Pictures of me from a few years ago all follow the same formula - I'm always mugging with my mouth open wide in excitement (real or ironic) and pointing at things. I was really uncomfortable having my photo taken, and looking slightly insane seemed like the best way to deal with that. I wanted to look good, but I didn't want to look like I was trying to look good, because that would be vain, and no one likes a try hard.
Of course that's dumb, but I still have that niggling thought in the back of my head sometimes, this feeling of "who am I to take all these photos and put them up on the internet like I'm someone interesting?" Which, again, is dumb, because documenting your life online is kind of what people do these days, and fuck it, I am interesting.
But hey, that doesn't mean that all my photos have to be serious.
IMG_2815
My Hatchet-Face impression.
IMG_2966
Invisible maracas.
IMG_2968
Metal!!!!

I hope everyone has some fabulous plans for the weekend. There's a flea market here in Chicago called the Vintage Garage, and the theme this weekend is Tiki and Rockabilly! I'm really excited for it, and I'm hoping to have some cool photos and new treasures to show off on Monday.

13 comments:

  1. Ah I saw that the Vintage Garage is happening this weekend but Im working, biggest bummer. Also I never thought of trying a Hawaiian shirt like that but such a good idea. Also I totally need to invest in a tripod, but I too feel silly taking photos of myself and posting them like someone will care, luckily for me some bloggers do exist out there who actually care and read my blog and Im so gracious for that cause then it makes taking those photos just a little bit more worth it.
    Justine
    http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I feel like we do all post for each other, which is kind of funny. It's nice, though, having an "audience" of your peers.
      It's too bad you couldn't make it to the Garage, it was really fun! They had some great stuff there, and I enjoyed the costume contest.

      Delete
  2. Fantastic purple pieces! I dubbed purple my hue of the year for 2014 (last year, starting with green, I decided to start assigning a colour to each year that I want to work on increasing the amount of that I own and the frequency with which I wear it my wardrobe) and have been looking for ways to integrate it into my ensembles more, too. I think it's a beautiful colour, and it's my mom's fave so I had a lot of exposure to it growing up, but for some reason, I don't wear it a ton. The darker shades in particular appeal to me, so that's where I've been focusing. I'd love to find some purple shoes. I haven't had any since I was a little kid and think they'd go a long way towards ensuring I sport violet hues more often.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I never see purple shoes, you should definitely jump on them if you find them.

      Delete
  3. purple looks great on you.
    i often grab puple pieces but -to be true- i never ever wear them. it's not my colour. i feel kind of alianted in purple ... sounds weird, feels weird. ;)

    good luck on finding stuff at the vintage garage! we are selling tomorrow at an r'n'r flea market here in berlin/kreuzberg. hopefully i can get rid of a lot of things .... and i don't find anything nice and vintage from other sellers ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck selling! Given how awesome your wardrobe is, I'm sure people will be snapping it up.

      Delete
  4. Hope you find some gems at the vintage garage:) Purple is a great color for you and I love all the fun poses:) Even though I don't wear purple much, it is actually my favorite color. The "rock on" "rocks on" lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh also, I wanted to say these looks kind of remind me of a "Teddy Girl":)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to look up what the meant, but I love it now that I know! Thank you for telling me that, I'm really interested in the photos that I've found.

      Delete
  6. This has made me realise I literally never wear purple! But looks great on you here - I love the last look and the pairing with the tropical shirt. Definitely does help tone the vamp down and make it more everyday. Love the check skirt in the second look too - more great colours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to have to pull them out of my closet more often, sometimes I forget how much I like certain pieces until I put them on again.

      Delete
  7. I was contemplating getting a tripod, but for now I rely on my husband for photos of me, and he takes pretty decent ones. But it does still feel silly to pose, even with another person. In one shoot, he had to answer his phone, so I filled in time taking stupid duck-face selfies in my sixties make-up and hat. I kept myself very well entertained!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I love stupid selfies, you should post them sometime.

      Delete