Monday, July 7, 2014

Choies Lemon Print Skirt Review

There are a few shopping sites out there that I think of as fashion blogger crack. If you've spent any time on Lookbook, you've probably heard of them - Choies, Chicwish, Sheinside. They have random sounding names, offer free shipping and points for promotion, are relatively cheap, and are based out of Hong Kong or China. The clothes are all quite trendy, so for vintage loving girls, right now they're a great place to stock up on midi skirts while they're popular.
lemons2
So, I bought this skirt when I was drunk. Had I been sober, I might have passed it up, but I think I'd been trolling Instagram or something, seen the new PUG dresses with the orange print (which are super f-ing cute), and decided then and there that I was going to get something citrus print. This was mostly just what I found that checked off all my boxes - citrus print, not a mini, under $50. 
One of the skirts that I wear most frequently is this green one, from Chicwish.
lemon_lime_2
It's comfortable, well made, and I received it fairly quickly after I ordered it. I expected to get a similar experience from Choies, but that didn't exactly happen.
For starters, I ordered it on the 15th of June, and I received it on July 3rd, which was slow, but within the time frame that they promise delivery. I did have some issues with their website, which had me really concerned. I didn't receive a confirmation email, and the site wouldn't let me log in or reset my password. However, both times that I contacted customer service, the response was both quick and very helpful, so they definitely get points for that.
lemons3
The pros: I really like the print on this skirt. The colors are nice and vibrant, and the scale is small enough to do some fun print mixing if you're so inclined (I would love to pick up a yellow or green gingham shirt to wear with this). It's also full enough to accommodate a petticoat, which isn't always true of skirts like this that aren't produced for the retro niche market.
The cons: The quality and construction are middling at best. The cotton is thin and a bit scratchy, and when I first put it on, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the button through the buttonhole. It turned out that it had been stitched, but not opened, so I had to take a pair of scissors to it. Not a huge deal, but kind of annoying, and indicative of the lack of attention to detail.
I do wish the skirt were a little bit longer, but I can't really call that a con. It hits me just above the knee, when I prefer my skirts to be at or just below knee length. I'm 5'7, so on a shorter lady it might be a better length.

lemons
So what do I think of this company? Well, you get what you pay for. This skirt was about $45, with free shipping; it's cute and easy to wear for summer, but it might not last until next year. Choies, and the companies like it, have a lot of products, some with really beautiful prints, for quite good prices, so if that's what you're looking for, I'd say go for it. My experience with Chicwish was generally more positive than my experience with Choies, though, so I'd be more likely to order from them in the future.

12 comments:

  1. i would love to have a lemon skirt ... your's is super pretty - for me it would be a little bit too short ...
    the last 50s skirt i won on ebay is too short aswell. i was so blinded by it's rocknroll-dancing novelty print, that i didn't recognized it ... .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy to get excited about a detail and miss out on something important, like measurements, isn't it? I've definitely talked myself into pretty things that were too small or too short or really messed up.

      Delete
  2. I think you hit the nail on the head. It's cheaper, but you get what you pay for. I've been doing my best to stay away from those sites (a great deal is tempting) so I can make less but higher quality purchases. And you're right, that PUG orange skirt is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, some of the stuff seems to be decent quality, but I think it really varies from item to item. It's hard to really say based on my limited experience, though. Good for you for not giving into the temptation to pick up something cheap! Saving up for quality pieces has never been my strong suit.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for giving such an honest review of their site. I've been eyeing a few of their items in recent days, but haven't ordered yet. I feel more confident doing so (hopefully soon) now. You look so lovely and fabulously summery in this great citrus print skirt. I too wish (for myself) that it was longer. I'm of the mind that to be called a midi skirt it should come down a few inches below the knee, but it seems that it a lot of modern fashion brands don't share that view (much to the chagrin of us vintage loving gals).

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you very much for the wonderfully nice birthday wishes! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're really not too bad. The one that I ordered from Chicwish is actually really nice, and I wear it pretty regularly.

      Delete
  4. That is soo cute! I have been hesitant about some of those websites, I know the reason it is so cheap is because it comes from China, I guess you get what you pay for and Im low on cash so I naturally gravitate towards great knock offs of things that are popular now in fashion but sometimes with the shipping time from China or Japan I just don't have the patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The waiting is definitely the hardest part. Three weeks of checking my mail box drove me crazy.

      Delete
  5. I've been wondering about Chicwish, having somehow managed to not hear of them until about three weeks ago and then deciding I want most of the skirts on their website! My experience with most sellers based in China etc has been that the customer service is very good and the waiting time is not. But is it worth it for a skirt with lemons on? I just think it might be. It's super cute! I do like that green one too. Good finds for sure x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, yes. There are 3 or 4 of them on that site that I'm just aching to get my hands on, and apparently they've got some new ones coming out soon as well.

      Delete
  6. I must be living under a rock, because I had actually never heard of these sites before! Both skirts are really adorable, although I agree that I'd like to see the lemon skirt a little longer (but that's just me personally). Thank you for leaving such a detailed review! You look fabulous in both skirts!

    Cheers,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, lady! I can't wholeheartedly recommend those kinds of sites, but if you're looking for a cheap thrill, they do a pretty good job. Some of their stuff is definitely worth it, although it can be kind of hit or miss.

      Delete